Communication between S7-400 and Omron PLC

Hubert12

Hello PLCTalk Community,

I am trying to figure out how to communicate between
  • S7-400 CPU 412-1
  • Omron CJ2M34
using the Ethernet as they are already in the same network. Solutions like kepServer are not accepted by the customer. They would like to have a direct communication between PLCs.

Have you ever experienced a similiar issue?

I would be very thankful for any suggestion.

Brg, Hubert

Hello Hubert

When Omron supports modbus TCP client and your S7 412 has a CP443 then
you can follow this link to the CTI website.

http://www.controltechnology.com/support/application-notes/
see 2500P-ECC ethernet communication coprocessor.

Here you can find a application note regarding modbus TCP protocol used for communication between a CTI PLC with ECC ethernet card and a S7 PLC with cp.
The S7 plc is a 315-2DP with CP343. For the Omron part regarding modbus TCP client I can,t help you. On the S7 side it,s the same as in the application note.
Also the S7 FB can be downloaded there.(application note with sample files).

Hope this will help you anyfurther.

Kind regards
Henny

Just a warning, this will be quite expensive.
On the S7 side you need a CP443-1 (14400 DKK) and the Modbus TCP library 2XV9450-1MB00 for S7-CP (16600 DKK).

Can the Omron CPU be a Profibus slave, or a Profibus Master ?
If it can be a profibus slave, you dont need any extra hardware or software on the S7 side.

edit: The Omron expansion module CJ1W-PRT21 lets the Omron be a Profibus DP slave.

Just a warning, this will be quite expensive.
On the S7 side you need a CP443-1 (14400 DKK) and the Modbus TCP library 2XV9450-1MB00 for S7-CP (16600 DKK).

Can the Omron CPU be a Profibus slave, or a Profibus Master ?
If it can be a profibus slave, you dont need any extra hardware or software on the S7 side.

Omron CJ2M can only be a slave while using the adapter.

CP443-1 is already there and I can only set it as master, so I do not need to buy any extra libraries,right?

Mange tak :)

@JesperMP
Alright, then I have to verify modbus tcp idea with the customer.

Regarding the profibus, that was my first idea since I already have experience with it. However there is no physical profibus cable between Omron and Siemens. They are around 900m away from each other, so it is quite a problem.

Hello Hubert

I have written a mobus client driver for S7 with CP that supports modbus function 2=reading multiple inputs(booleans),3=reading mulitple holding registers(16 bit integers) , 15=writing multiple coils(booleans) and 16 writing multiple holding registers(16 bit integers).
I can not attach it because the zip file is 1,22 MB and only 300 kB is allowed.

Tested is with wago 750-352 headstation and analog+digital I/O and with CTI plc acting as modbus TCP server reading and writing coils and registers.

You probably only need to read and write registers.

Here is a link to SPS forum where you can download it.
Of course you have to modify FC99 and the jobs to your needs.

http://www.sps-forum.de/simatic/81683-ag_recv-fc6-fuer-modbus-tcp-verbindung-6.html

Hope it helps you.

Kind regards
Henny

Hello Hubert

I have written a mobus client driver for S7 with CP that supports modbus function 2=reading multiple inputs(booleans),3=reading mulitple holding registers(16 bit integers) , 15=writing multiple coils(booleans) and 16 writing multiple holding registers(16 bit integers).
I can not attach it because the zip file is 1,22 MB and only 300 kB is allowed.

Tested is with wago 750-352 headstation and analog+digital I/O and with CTI plc acting as modbus TCP server reading and writing coils and registers.

You probably only need to read and write registers.

Here is a link to SPS forum where you can download it.
Of course you have to modify FC99 and the jobs to your needs.

http://www.sps-forum.de/simatic/81683-ag_recv-fc6-fuer-modbus-tcp-verbindung-6.html

Hope it helps you.

Kind regards
Henny

It was originally a older Siemens Modbus FB that only supported mobus functie 3 and 16. This was a cracked on(no lock on it) that I have modified to my needs.

A appliction note on the CTI website for open modbus communication between CTI 2572 ethernet card (only modbus server) and Siemens S7 with CP was based on the FB that I modified. I got the S7 project based on the application note and since I mostly programm CTI plc,s and not so often S7 it was a good S7 practice to rebuild it.
So it was not good to say that I have written it completely.

Kind regards
Henny

The most economic way is to use the hardware that is already present. It seems on the Omron site you have to buy additional hardware no matter what you decide modbus/profinet? With profinet on S7 side you have to look if your CP supports profinet otherwise you have to buy also another CP.
Modbus client will run on the current CP because it,s based on a TCP connection using AG_Send and AC_Receive function blocks.

Kind regards
Henny

It was originally a older Siemens Modbus FB that only supported mobus functie 3 and 16. This was a cracked on(no lock on it) that I have modified to my needs.

A appliction note on the CTI website for open modbus communication between CTI 2572 ethernet card (only modbus server) and Siemens S7 with CP was based on the FB that I modified. I got the S7 project based on the application note and since I mostly programm CTI plc,s and not so often S7 it was a good S7 practice to rebuild it.
So it was not good to say that I have written it completely.

Kind regards
Henny

Seems like a good way out, but I am a little afraid that there might come a very time consuming problem along the way, so the whole spare on supported siemens library will become a loss.

What do you think about profibus communication with Profibus - Ethernet adapters on both ends?

Then it is only
CJ1W -PRT21 card for Omron which is 297$, because there is an inbuilt profibus port on Siemens S7-412-1 CPU + 2 adapters. Do you know any good ones available in Europe?

Last edited:
Hello Hubert

If i understand you correctly then you want both plc,s to do profibus and then use modules to convert profibus to ethernet?

If you costumer allows aditional hardware for the communication between the two systemens then another idea would be the use of a red lion data station.
In this station you have a lot of PLC protocols availible and you can map data from one protocol to another.
Has been succesfully used in the Netherlands also for communication between Siemens and CTI plc,s

The advantage is that you don,t have to buy plc hardware.

http://www.redlion.net/products/industrial-networking/communication-converters/protocol-converters

This is a link to a dutch website where you can see some screenshots.
http://prodek.nl/page-cti-redliondatastation.html

The configuration software is for free.
Price of a red lion data station according to Prodek is about 700 euro.

Kind regards
Henny