RS Logix data type members mixed

krisbi

Hi guys.

I have a data type named P75x_IN. It is defined as User data type and it's members are (in this order):

IN_BOOL: BOOL
IN_DINT1: DINT
IN_REAL: REAL
IN_DINT2: DINT

However, when I make a local variable of a type P75x_IN it's members are mixed like this:

IN_BOOL: BOOL
IN_REAL: REAL
IN_DINT1: DINT
IN_DINT2: DINT

This is a problem for me because of reason that I can't program any other way. What is the problem here?

Thanks.

Try this:

a) Go to Monitor Tags (or Edit Tags)
b) See how the members of your variable are ordered.
c) Double click on the header of the Name column. See the effect on your variable.

Yes, Monitor Tags is ordering the members alphabetically (asc or desc). You can repeat this clicking on other headers and you'll get others results.

My point is: a UDT is a collection of elements without a specific order. In any case, you always can select an element using the combination "variable_name.element_name".

Why this could be a problem for your application?

So first....the order in which it is being displayed really does not matter. Yes there are memory usage concerns in the definition order. But how it is displayed does not matter.

Second, in your tags window there are some ways to manipulate how they are displayed.

Third, there is a specific defined order to the members. Open the User-Defined Data Type definition for this type and the member order is defined. If you want to change that order, you can do so. But that will affect it throughout the entire project. As long as you are not adding to it, deleting from it, or modifying any properties (other than the order) you will not hurt or break anything.

I tried manipulating the various sorting options and I could not come up with the order you described, but again, the order it is displayed is not functionally important.

OG

snip1.JPG