TIA Portal on VM

dwoodlock

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

Just wanted to see if anyone is currently running TIA portal V13, on a windows 7 virtual, on a windows 10 system?

If so, does it work well?

We need an additional laptop with portal software, and I'm just considering the available options.

Thanks for the input.

-Dan

I'm running it, also win7 in virtual machine (virtualbox), linux host. I think the host is not the issue. getting online a real PLC via diverse interfaces might introduces issues? I have to say I didn't try any yet. just TIA and simulator

I'm specifically wanting to know on a windows 10 host system.

I already now that vm's generally work well.

thanks anyway

The host is irrelevant though. If the VM software runs on the host is all that really matters. I suppose you could make a case for a 32-bit host versus a 64-bit guest. But really, the host could be Linux or MacOS.

OG

But that is the purpose of the VM, to make the host O/S irrelevant. It is "virtually", an entirely different machine.

I suspect you will get an answer soon that says "I'm doing that and it works no problem". Just as you would if you had asked about Linux or MacOS.

OG

TIA portal and web server

Hello to all,

it has been a while since I used Siemens PLC programming software. I was mainly used to STEP 7 v5.3 and WinCC 6.0. Since then I have worked with PLCs from other manufacturers. In the meantime there's been a lot of changes. I know that now is actual TIA portal v13 that includes all software needed for programming Siemens PLCs (S7 300, 400, 1200, 1500) and HMIs.
Now I wonder, if anyone actually used web server for S7-1200 or S7-1500 in connection with PLCSIM.

In other words, is it possible to make some simple test PLC program, download it on PLCSIM (virtual PLC) and then configure web server in PLCSIM to practice the set up and making simple web applications to access the PLC data (tags)?

I appreciate any good advice.
Thank you in advance.

I don't think PLC sim supports the webpage. It is intended for testing code, not actually acting as a virtual PLC.

However, you can buy a 1200 for pretty cheap, $200-300, if I recall.

But that is the purpose of the VM, to make the host O/S irrelevant. It is "virtually", an entirely different machine.

I suspect you will get an answer soon that says "I'm doing that and it works no problem". Just as you would if you had asked about Linux or MacOS.

OG

I'm doing that with a Mac OSX host and it works no problem 🍺

May I ask why you would want to run it on a VM instead of just on windows 10?

I'm currently having issues reinstalling the program myself, was work okish before crashing once every 3 hours or so, so I decided to reinstall but it keeps crashing during reinstall so I can't.

Is that maybe why you are using a VM?

Just to share, I ended up installing 16GB RAM in my laptop, and assigned 8GB to my TIA Portal Virtualbox VM just so I could get the V13 simulator to run. With 4GB, it just wouldn't run at all.

hm, here on laptop with 4GB running V.box with win7 assigned around 1.5GB it just runs...? mileages may vary it seems.