Winder on PowerFlex Fault 12 problem.

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been working with Rockwell regarding this problem for a week or so now. Looking for others input.

I have a winder setup running in SLAT MAX (mode 4) on a flux vector controlled PowerFlex 755 (43A). It is connected to a 30hp 400V/50Hz 3phase SEW AC motor.

When the winder is under load (say 10% torque rating or higher) the winder speeds up from a stop to the speed reg. limit appropriately (though rather quickly). When the winder is under very little load, the motor speeds up past the SLAT MAX limit and occasionally trips with Fault 12. In all scenarios the winder has a setpoint of 30 (-30%) torque.

I followed Rockwell's recommendations and MEG'd the motor, re-tuned the drive (rotational and intertial), cut the speed regulator bandwidth in half (5), tested the drive stand-alone, and tried reducing the SLAT MAX limit (Was 50Hz, now 40 Hz). The problem is still popping up from time to time.

Is there anything else I should be checking or trying? Granted it's a ND drive, should we have gone with a HD drive?