Allen Bradley 1797-IRT8 RTD Card 16#0118 Error

PLC_User_82

Hi forum users.

Long time lurker and first time poster here.

I am struggling with an issue with the Allen Bradley 1797-IRT8 Series A Card at the moment.

Our IRT8 cards keep intermittently failing in that they initially work fine (either after panel power up or card power cycle) but then fail after an undeterminable amount of time. I walk off site or go and do something and, on my return, one of the cards will still be powered (green LED solid) but no longer communicating the temperature values. Also, the spare channels that flash red, are off completely when this problem occurs. RSLogix reports a code: "16#0118 Module Configuration Rejected. Format Error"

I've checked the configuration within RSLogix and can see no issues there (card matches what I physically have). I've swapped out cards and terminal bases but still find the same issue in the same slots. I've set Electronic Keying for Disable Keying with no positive results.

We are using RSLogix 20.03 and in our I/O racks we have the following:
- 1794-AENTR Ethernet adapter
- 1797-CEC Flexbus Connector
- 1797-BIC Flexbus IS Isolator
- 1794-TB3 Terminal Bases for each I/O card

Has anyone experienced any similar issues with this type or any other type of card? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am increasingly frustrated with this one.

Thanks

Most likely adapter does not see the module
These will not help with intermittent errors, but:
You can't use 1794 base for 1797 I/O. It must be 1797-TB3
And you must power 1797 I/O using 1797 power supply.

Typo on my part. We do have 1797-TB3 terminal bases. Also, we are using the 1797 IS power supply to power the I/O.

Would you mind elaborating on "adapter does not see the module"? Is this a common issue, where comms along the backplane can fail?

Sorry if this question seems a bit green but my Allen Bradley experience is relatively limited.

Error 16#0118 is usually flexbus timeout.
It means that adapter did not get response from the module.
Firs, I would check to make sure that you are not overloading IS PS channels, they can handle 1 or 2 modules only. is this is not the case, then you need to start swapping hardware, one at the time, starting with adapter.
Make sure the you replace all bases and checked connectors between bases

Hey Guys
I know this is a old post
I have read several manuals pertaining to the data format
of these 1794-IRT8 RTD cards, but I wanted to make sure I have the RAW scaling correct.

I have my card setup as following:
Sensor: RTD
Sensor Type: 100 ohm Pt 385
Sensor Mode: 3-wire
Input filter cutoff: Hardware Filter Only
Data Format: °F

Currently have the scaling as follows:
Input Min = 0
Input Max = 3000
Scaled Min = 0
Scaled Max = 300

Does anyone know what the proper RAW scaling for these cards are?
Does what I have look correct?

Thanks,

Hey Guys
I know this is a old post
I have read several manuals pertaining to the data format
of these 1794-IRT8 RTD cards, but I wanted to make sure I have the RAW scaling correct.

I have my card setup as following:
Sensor: RTD
Sensor Type: 100 ohm Pt 385
Sensor Mode: 3-wire
Input filter cutoff: Hardware Filter Only
Data Format: °F

Currently have the scaling as follows:
Input Min = 0
Input Max = 3000
Scaled Min = 0
Scaled Max = 300

Does anyone know what the proper RAW scaling for these cards are?
Does what I have look correct?

Thanks,

The IRT8 doesn't offer scaling, when you select an RTD? In your code, just divide the raw by 10 into a real tag. The Raw data from the card is in tenths of a degree (IE 1000 = 100 degrees).

Last edited: