arduino

any else thinking of trying to turn this bad boy into a plc?

to play with around the house? maybe.

when someone gets hurt playing with one of these things in an industrial setting one day, some lawyer is going to have a field day.

If you want a cheap really functional plc, just use a AD click.

There are a couple of projects that have attempted to harden the Arduino platform into something usable in an industrial environment by putting 30V I/O and ESD protection onto the boards.

None of them have really succeeded in volume.

The Controllino was probably the best looking; as far as I know they've been stuck in "we got our funding but it's harder than we thought" mode on Kickstarter, as the last we heard was "it's going to ship next month", last summer.

Rugged Circuits seems to ship their bare board with improved circuits and packaging.

And Digital Loggers seems to have built an Arduino-based controller.

I've embedded Arduino-compatible microprocessor boards into some of my designs to handle a function that my main controller can't do for packaging or speed reasons, but I do not rely on them for anything critical or as the main control for any of my machines.

it is very fast

I was playing around w/ one.
I pushed a button on the bread board and I got like a thousand transitions on the input.

Nope , you can do with a NANO for 3 $
it can run even MHz.
and dbounce can be lectronic (like a PLC does) or in software (not recommended.)