Car Wash replacement controller

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Company that orig. built equipment is gone.

I have the program.

Customers are looking for features like:
email alarms
door control
remote access via phone, ipad, pc.
weep system
etc.

The plc used in all of these car washes is an old direct logics plc.

Apparently, the power supply in these things goes bad.

Getting difficult to replace.

Current system has no hmi.

If I could get the hardware for under 1k I think I could do it.

I'm thinking wago plc.

No HMI picked out yet.

Was wondering about those hmi touchscreens that also did controls, as the controls for the car wash seem pretty light.

Biggest problem is that the controls are 120VAC.

Weintek do a HMI system (cMT series) that you can use iPads on WiFi, they can generate emails, etc. They are extremely cheap and cheerful, and if the HMI isn't "loaded" could be an option.

Programming software is free too. Just a bit lacking in error reporting at compile time, and "animation" on screen objects is very limited, although I've yet to check out the newest version downloaded today which is supposed to offer "enhanced" animation capabilities.

You could check into AdvancedHMI. It's free, runs on Windows, even a Windows tablet with WiFi. Can email any alarm condition, even status updates.

The plc used in all of these car washes is an old direct logics plc.
Apparently, the power supply in these things goes bad.
Getting difficult to replace.
Biggest problem is that the controls are 120VAC.
Direct Logic PLC is Automation Direct. Why not stay with AD, and update the PLC to newer hardware?

As i am a wago fan use the 750 series, and a simple PC as HMI, if needed at all.
120 Volts is no problem for the modules.
as the PC has ethernet, you can have it controlled anywhere in the world.

As i am a wago fan use the 750 series, and a simple PC as HMI, if needed at all.
120 Volts is no problem for the modules.
as the PC has ethernet, you can have it controlled anywhere in the world.

I'm leaning towards Wago do to the fact that I already know codesys and its modbus tcp support.

plc for aprox $395
and idec hmi for aprox $250.

that still doesn't give me email alerts and smart phone access though.

Plc/hmi

Win AC_MP from Siemens could be a good choice either.

Your MP (Multi Panel) could act as an S7-300 CPU & an HMI at the same time.
Using Simatic Manager & WinCC Flexible+Win AC softwares will give you the powerful capabilities of Siemens PLC/HMI combination.

Best regards
Hagos

Im not a huge fan of automation direct software, but I have never really heard of anyone having problems with the hardware.
I replaced quite a few memory caps in DL105s and had to discard a few whole units for stuck relays.

Win AC_MP from Siemens could be a good choice either.

Your MP (Multi Panel) could act as an S7-300 CPU & an HMI at the same time.
Using Simatic Manager & WinCC Flexible+Win AC softwares will give you the powerful capabilities of Siemens PLC/HMI combination.

Best regards
Hagos

As far as I know, Siemens doesn't sell the MP panels any more, and that solution would have cost a fair bit more than $1k.

In a Siemens solution, you could do S7-1200 and a Basic Panel. S7-1200 has a web page option, and I think it has blocks for sending emails. It also supports modbus TCP, per one of OP's other comments.