Functions in Ladder Logic

namang

Hello,

I wanted to know if it is possible to create a user defined function in Ladder Logic when programming through Studio 5000. I intend to write a specific logic, then move it all into one single block (the "function"). Can I then just call this one single block later into the program, instead of having to write all the logic once again?

Thanks.

Exactly, so I how do I create such functions in Studio 5000 Ladder Logic ?

Use Add-On Instructions. Fine for small bits of well proven repeated code e.g ramping/conversions etc. but for bigger chunks or for code you want to monitor then I think it's better to chuck them in their own routines to be copied and pasted as necessary.

Use add on instructions (AOIs), brilliant for code that is repeated alot and doesnt change.

As mentioned above for large amounts of code or code that you may want to modify anytime then maybe routines may be the best bet for you as modifying an AOI will require a download

Ash

As others have said, an AOI (Add-On Instruction) is probably the closest equivalent to "function block" in AB land. You can also use a subroutine and call it as many times as you want with different input and output parameters. Each method has it's pro's and cons, and it depends on your application and what things are more important that others in your task.

But FWIW, I use AOI's like they're going out of fashion, but very rarely a subroutine in that way. So my first port of call would be the AOI information widelto linked to above.

1. Open a project in Studio 5000
  2. Click Help then Learning Center
  3. Click What's New
  4. Select Introduction to Add-On Instructions
  5. Watch tutorial
  6. Click Creating Add-On Instruction
  7. Watch tutorial
  8. Make profit

OG