ControlLogix MSG broadcasting over serial port

Malec82

Hi Guys,
I'm trying to connect a non-brand LED display to the 1756-L63 ControlLogix. The display can communicate via RS232 (one direction), RS422, RS485, and TCP/IP (both directions). According to the manual available protocols are: Serial RGB and Modbus RTU (Modbus RTU only on RS485). I am able to display messages on the display using Hercules Setup Utility app. I tried RS232 and TCP/IP and both works. But I don't know how to make it work with the PLC. I assume the MSG instruction could be helpful, but i don't know how to configure it. I was trying to broadcast the message (CIP Generic, Parameter Write) over the RS232, but i'm getting the error 16#00f2 "Broadcasting not supported for current system protocol or data size invalid". I was trying all available system protocols, but always the same error. I also have the HMS Anybus Communicator AB7007-C which, i'm guessing, could be useful, but i have never play with it. Any ideas on how to make the display work with PLC?

If you want to use the serial port on the processor, You'll want to look into the ASCII instruction set. Should be listed under ASCII Serial Port (AWT, AWA, ARD, ARL, etc)

Note that the serial port is not present on newer ControlLogix processors, so learning the Anybus module might not be the worst idea.

Last edited:
I was trying to use AWT, but this is not enough. Except the string to display i have to send some starting, ending, and configuration bytes. And yes, I will learn Anybus definitely, but the deadline is coming, so I'm looking for quick solution :)

Well, not knowing anything about your display(model or whatever), When I've had to do ASCII stuff in the past I've used the ASCII string functions to Insert or Concat multiple strings together to build the 'output' string that I would use in my AWT function.
There's some example of the various ascii codes you'll need to perform Carriage Returns and whatnot in the AB manual Logix5000 Controllers ASCII Strings.

Dravik, you are the greatest! Thanks for the clue. This is my first time using ASCII, so I didn't know how to use it exactly. Everything works fine just on ASCII serial instructions. Thanks a lot! :geek: