Wireless Communications between 2 PLC's

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Everyone,
Helping out a friend out here and need some opinions.

2) AB PLC's separated by about 5 miles line of site. They are used for Pipeline Leak detection.

The current communications between the 2 is via Ethernet over a satellite dish. Due to the fact that all the site traffic runs through that same dish there are some communication reliability issues between the 2 PLC's. What we are thinking is to separate the 2 PLC's and put them on their own communication gateway.

The site has lots of bad weather, snow, rain and very cold temps. What have you guys used in a similar situation that have held up well? Fiber is out of the question so we will have to look at wireless technologies. Given that this system is used for leak detection a rock solid system is what is desired (or as close to it as possible :))

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I had good luck with B&B's Ghostbridge out in the element here in the Northwest. My application is fairly short distance but their spec says up to 15km.

How many times do you want to call the radio manufacturer and get told that "there's nothing wrong with the radio setup or radio environment, there must be a problem with the PLC firmware" ?

If that number is less than one, you want DataLinc 900 mHz IP radios.

If your line of site is truly line of site (not “it’s just a little hill”) then Data-Linc has a couple of possible solutions that will be far more reliable than satellite communications.

According to my friend he can see the other side with binoculars if he stands where he wants to install the radio. So I would say that is about as line of site as you can get living on a sphere. :)

Actually that’s not completely true. There is what’s called the “Fresnel Zone” that can cause what you would think is line of site to not be. Having said that given what you’ve described I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a good path. If you have GPS coordinates you can contact Data-Linc and they (I) can do a path study using software (that takes into account the Fresnel Zone). I’ll give you the “PLCTalk” discount (free). Actually for small surveys we typically don’t charge anyway. It’s easier to know going into an application if it’s going to work than not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_zone

How many times do you want to call the radio manufacturer and get told that "there's nothing wrong with the radio setup or radio environment, there must be a problem with the PLC firmware" ?

That sounds like a hard-won piece of information ;)

Ken is the type of person that I just go and press the I believe button.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...

Where's the "like" button ?

Post #3 👨🏻‍🏫

Post #8 :nodi: