Genius I/0 Blocks

Looking for some instructions on the following Genius I/O blocks:

IC660BBDO24 12/24 VDC I/O BLOCK
IC660BBA101 RTD I/O BLOCK
IC660BBA103 THERMOCOUPLE I/O BLOCK

GE FANUC was no help and their support web site seems to be offline.
All I'm doing is testing these blocks . I'd like to know how to interpet the UNIT OK and the I/O enabled LED's when the block is powered up and how to test the digital and analog I/O.

Your help is appreciated as always.

CTG

First of all I have a question,

Are you using a handheld monitor or are these blocks connected to a genius network?

If they are not connected to a genius network, when powered up only the 'unit ok' LED will light, the I/O enabled light will only light up when the block is on a network and has been configured correctly for that network.

I have not dealt with the RTD or Thermocouple blocks, so I will only comment on how I test digital I/O.

I will first configure a block, using a handheld monitor (HMM), as all inputs. Then while monitoring the block using the HMM, I will apply the correct voltage to each input checking that the correct LED lights up and that I get a logic 1 indication on the HMM at the correct address. I will then configure the same block as all outputs, then, again, using the HMM I will 'override' each output one at a time and using a voltmeter I will measure the voltage on the correct terminal to ensure that the ouput is switching, alternativly I will connect a lamp across the output to give it a bit of load. If the block passes this test then so be it, as far as I am concerned it is a good block.

This is the way that 'I' test genius blocks, others might do things differently, this works for me.

If you are using a HMM, when you 'override' an input or output the I/O Enabled LED will flash, if during the test the unit OK LED flashes, this indicates that a fault with the block has occured, you can find out what this fault is using the HMM.

Hope this has been some help to you, should you require any more info on this then ask again and I will see what I can do.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm not using an HMM and am not connected to any network. I have about a dozen thermocouple blocks, one RTD block and one digital block. The thermocouple block 'Unit Ok' LED, when first powered, is steady for about 5 seconds, then flashes. The digital I/O block 'Unit OK' LED is steady all the time.

Would you have a part number for the HMM?

My job is to test these units for basic operation only.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

CTG

CTG

I will answer the easy question first. The HMM part number is IC660HHM501. I am not sure if they are still availiable or the cost of them. I imagine them to be pretty expensive.

The thermocouple block... does the 'unit ok' flash on every one of the dozen block you have? I ask this because I suspect that the block has detected that it has an 'open circuit', in otherwords it has been set up to report open circuit faults and it needs to see something on it inputs or outputs. I can't be more specific than that as I have never come across a thermocoupler block, yet.

I don't see how you can test these blocks for 'basic operation' without some means of interagating the data from these blocks, either using a HMM or a PLC set up to read and write to these blocks.

It seems that your only means of testing these, as it stands, is to place them in a real world application that is running on one of your systems and see how they behave. But I assume you have to test these blocks as they have been swapped out from a system as suspected not working.

Paul