modbus tcp to altivar drives

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Currently networking 8 drives via modbus rs485 19,200 8 E 2.

What a royal pain in the but.

Because one msg at at time, need fast preset speed control, need to buffer in non critical reads for drive status in between speed commands.

Apparently, you can get an option card that allows you to talk modbus tcp to the drives. I assume I could then put the writes and reads in the I/O scanner?

These cards seem to cost as much as the drive.

Any reason I couldn't take one of these comm cards across the street to the engineering shop and have them make them on the cheap?

Yes....there is an option module available for ABB drives for Modbus TCP, and a few other comm platforms.

You mentioned "IO Scanner" and not PLC model.
If PLC is AB....you might also like to know that ABB also has an Ethernet IP module (Fena 1) for their drives also.

This depends on what model ABB drive you are using.

Last edited:
If you're using a unity processor then yes, Modbus TCP io scanning is a much tidier option. What PLC ?

I think list here is 500 bucks for the cards so with an integrator discount you should get them for a lot less.

I just buy the new process drives now. Built in modbus TCP!

I scan my drives at 250ms interval which is fine for my needs.

If you're using a unity processor then yes, Modbus TCP io scanning is a much tidier option. What PLC ?

I think list here is 500 bucks for the cards so with an integrator discount you should get them for a lot less.

I just buy the new process drives now. Built in modbus TCP!

I scan my drives at 250ms interval which is fine for my needs.

I'm using an M340 1000 w/ noe card, so yes, I/O scanning built in.
Our drives are quarter horse 312's and I'm not sure on the exact price, but I think around 300.

What are these new process drives called, and how much?