Triggers and system response times.

Dick G.

I'm trying to understand the Siemens (read translation!) description of various trigger types used to update screen tags. My design has about 1800 process (external) tags with an average of 150 taggs on each screen. Many tags are used on all screens. I also have about 250 tags which are used for alarming/messages.

With two OITs connected to my two PLC system (a Siemens/TI 565 and a 545) via TCP/IP the screen updates are realistic, around 2-3 seconds. But when I put a total of four OITs on the Ethernet network the screen updates go way up to around 10-15 seconds. All OITs are running the same project files and run WinCC v.6.0 SP2. All OITs are "stand alone, server" systems. I'm not using the server/client configuration.

I'm using "tag triggers" with a 1 to 2 second update, depending on the tag. Is this proper? Or should I be using a different type of trigger? I'm not really sure what differences the various trigger types are.

Thank you.

Dick Gaudreau