Object Text In Wonderware

Aabeck

I have a customer where there "IT Guy" replaced the computer running Wonderware with Ethernet to a S7-300.

The computer boots & starts Wonderware, the line runs, but all the text fields on every screen are blank. It shows the status, setpoints and process values from the PLC, but no labels of what each item is.

The customer has a couple of backups of the InTouch folder (2008 & 2013) but I have searched and can't find which file actually holds the labels. Does anyone more familiar with Wonderware know what file to look at. The crashed hard drive has been sent to a data recovery company to try and get the files from its InTouch folder, but that is estimated at 5-6 days & $1995.00.

There are 3 Excel files with lists of tags and a Tagnames.NDX file that seems to list everything (through Notepad). Or is there maybe a pointer to one of these files not being called?

Probably the tagnames file has been referenced in a script to show the names.
We have some here that came from vendors, who prefer to display their tags in two choices of language, and depending on your choice will depend which file it will point to..

John,

Would you know where to look for that pointer? Then I could check and see if it is pointing to some other file, or it is empty itself.

http://platforma.astor.com.pl/files/getfile/id/3887

above dodgy link to the scripting manual...

Scripts are held in WindowMaker.

Ours are usually held in the Application Scripts, either on "startup" or "while running"

Do you know what version of Intouch you have there? - if there are backups from 2008, it could be anything from V7 to about V10. Although it should not make much difference to the scripting.
I suppose if it has been installed and running then the "IT guy" has got the correct version with patches - although do you know if they ran an Application conversion when trying to run - usually that happens if you install a later version than the Application was created on. If it has converted, it can cause issues, in my experience.

Could it simply be a missing font?

On a similar note, we have a customer who upgraded his SCADA PC (commissioned by others) to Windows 10. Somehow it still works but the right side of his graphics were cut off. Apparently Windows 10 doesn't recognize his monitor and/or graphics card and would not let him change the graphics options. I was able to set the resolution higher (too high) and at least get all the objects back in view so he can see everything again. Now he has a 2" wide margin, but its an improvement and I didn't break anything. It was my first time touching Windows 10.

This is one reason I do my best to hide the free upgrade Windows Updates on all the SCADA PCs I commission.

OkiePC,

Since I have almost every font known on my laptop I will copy them all to this PC this afternoon, would be nice if it's something that simple.

Thanks OkiePC.

Turns out the only problem was the fonts folder did not have an Arial font, which is like the main one that ships with almost every version of Windows made since Win3.11. Installed it, with its variations, and magically words and labels appeared in Wonderware.

Don't you just love those highly trained IT perfeshionil's???

PS_0297W_PEOPLE_SKILLS.jpg

wow

Could it simply be a missing font?

On a similar note, we have a customer who upgraded his SCADA PC (commissioned by others) to Windows 10. Somehow it still works but the right side of his graphics were cut off. Apparently Windows 10 doesn't recognize his monitor and/or graphics card and would not let him change the graphics options. I was able to set the resolution higher (too high) and at least get all the objects back in view so he can see everything again. Now he has a 2" wide margin, but its an improvement and I didn't break anything. It was my first time touching Windows 10.

This is one reason I do my best to hide the free upgrade Windows Updates on all the SCADA PCs I commission.

Would you just look at it, just look at it.

just kidding.

I never in a million years would have thought of that.