Site Standards

AshleyParr

I've been to plenty of sites as a contractor & when looking at proposals I have been given a site standards document. This includes electrical components, Plc components, cable colours, etc...

I now work at a factory, it's documentation is well let's be polite & say 'lacking'. Not through anyone's fault really just bits got done by different people & not to much matches or documented.

Going forward I'd like to try & bring some standards in. I know this maybe a little cheeky but has anyone a template that they use or examples of what you use. Just looking for a starting point

Ash

Check out ISA. They have a lot of information on standards. I have written a few electrical/control standards for customers, but can't give them out as they are owned by them.

I don't know if you will find a template on this. Keep in mind we are referring to "site standards" and not "industry standards". Everyone feels differently about what is important to them so the site standards you run into will end up reflecting that. As an end user all I can say is make sure you indicate what is important to you.

Start by referencing any industry standards to expect the supplier to follow. Unless you are restricting your bid requests to suppliers you know are familiar with industry standards, don't assume they know what standards apply. If you don't want to list specific standards that will apply to the bid make sure you at least say something like "The bidder is expected to follow all applicable industry standards". At least you have it in writing so they can't say they didn't know.

Follow this and site specific written standards that are currently written. This is usually stuff like custom wire color codes, panel construction standards, guarding standards that either deviate or are more restrictive than industry standards and "code of conduct" type standards like on-site contractor safety standards.

After that you have preferred component lists. But, please, if you put a component on this list make sure you hold everyone to it. Said another way, it shouldn't be on the list unless it is non-negotiable.

I almost forgot. If you have specific software items you want followed make sure they are in there too. This would include tagname conventions on tag-based processors or symbol and comment standards on address-based processors. Include a list of programming languages that are allowed (or disallowed, whichever is smaller). Also, if there is a program structure you want followed, make sure it is there. This is really just part of the site specific standards.

Keith

Last edited:
there is no point making a site standard if nothing at the site follows the standards. Is a significant amount of work going to be done to the new standard? If not you may as well document the standards that were used. In that case I'd pick the one that is best or used the most and maybe refine that to be the standard going forward.

If there is a significant amount of new working that will be done to the new standard then it would make sense to make up a new standard without regard to what is already on site.

Ashley,

I found something similar 3 years ago when I started here. I came from a previous factory and a consultancy to this factory.

The Electrical Standard did exist, but contained a lot of information not relevant to electrical, likes of civil works, CDM practices, permits etc, that would be covered elsewhere.

I had to rewrite it, but not from scratch, as I used bits of what was there.

I will pull out our standard later and get you the headings and ping you a private message with the details.

What to consider are;
involve people already on site for current practices
what parts/manufacturers are already used, and people are familiar with certain brands, especially for maintenance purposes and spares
do you have 3rd party suppliers that install equipment, what do they work to?
Yes, you need British Standards, but custom and practice may be different.

Will drop you a message later today.. John