PLC-5 programming software questions

Scorch Draken

Hello, I'm new to the forums, and I've been dealing with a very problematic situation here.

I have a few PLC 5 controllers with power supplies, chassis and I/O modules. However, I haven't been able to get a hold of a PLC-5 programming software, be it RSLogix 5, or a third party software that would be able to make a program for the PLC 5 and interface with the processor of the PLC. Does anyone know any third party programs that will be able to do what I need, or would anyone be able to send me a link to one that just interfaces with the PLC and be willing to make a program for it, so I can test my inputs and outputs. (I can make more information on the program needed for this if anyone is willing.)

6200-PLC5 was the old DOS-based A-B software.

AI-5 was the DOS-based ICOM software, later sold as Rockwell Software AI series.

Very old PLC-5s might be supported by UPDOC from Taylor Software... it's literally been decades since I tried that.

WinLogic 5 was a Windows 3.1 based software package for the PLC-5.

And RSLogix 5 is the modern Windows software package for support of the PLC-5.

None of these are freeware, nor is there a free utility that only does upload/download.

If you're an electronics reseller who is trying to repair or diagnose PLC-5 controllers and I/O, you've run into one of the costs of doing business.

If I were in your shoes, I would find a local systems integrator who would make you a test bench program and load it into your PLC controllers.

Quite a lot of us on this Forum make a living with our expertise and toolsets for PLC-related engineering, troubleshooting, and maintenance.

In general we're called "system integrators".

If I were in your shoes, I would call your local Rockwell Automation distributor and ask for an introduction to their favorite small integrator who has PLC-5 experience.

If you're working in an end-user capacity, your distributor themselves might have somebody who can help you out. But you've got to have something to offer them; often an opportunity to talk to your purchasing manager or to quote some upgrades is enough.

Last edited: