Diffrence between data blocks (DB) in TIA Portal and Twincat

Dleys1094

For an automation project we need to program for the first time in TwinCAT (V2). The Twincat software and PLC control is new to me. Programming in FB an ST in TwinCAT is not a problem. But since I only have been working with Siemens and TIA Portal, I don’t have any clue of how Data blocks, as in TIA Portal, are made in TwinCAT.
Can someone shed some light on this issue for me, thanks!:)

Global data is declared as global variables. You can first declare DUT's (UDT) and then use it as global variable. There is no such thing as DB in twincat/codesys (basically in anything but siemens).

For function block's usage, you must declare them as variable in program / fb and use them there. No pairing of "db" to fb.

Last edited:
I don't think that there is something the same like a DB from S7 in Twincat 2.

What you can do is Go to the Tab 'Resources' (left side Down below). Make a New object under Global vars. Give IT the name 'DB'. Inside this object, you can define the Different DB-entries.

I don't think that there is something the same like a DB from S7 in Twincat 2.

What you can do is Go to the Tab 'Resources' (left side Down below). Make a New object under Global vars. Give IT the name 'DB'. Inside this object, you can define the Different DB-entries.

Thanks for the information. I made a new object under Global vars, gVar_Taglist (for the in and outputs) and gVar_Alarms_and_Events.
It seems to work for now, but how do they program in twincat when there
is no use of DB. It seems more difficult to me e.g. to send and receive data from another PLC without using DB's.

You need to try to shift how you think about stuff. With s7 most are concerned "where" when with twincat it is basically unnecessary. You have the data struct in memory (like you would have the db) but you only access it symbolically. Basically you need to try to forget the "where". Just have the data in abstract sense via name.

Depending on how and what your chosen data transfer is (tcp/ip, udp/ip, fieldbus etc.). You can do DUT (UDT) and declare global variable of that type.

TC and codesys are very close to s7, they are german afterall. But there is some inherent differences.

Last edited: