Help on DeviceNet.

Hey All, I have a project coming up and it is a rushed one (thanks SI position). Quick backstory: I have been handling this plant since a month, the previous guy just up and quit, with very little backups whatsoever, and now I am responsible for the control systems side. I have a an existing DeviceNet network to which there will be additions. I do not have any experience with DeviceNet and thus require some experts to help me out. There will be four new devices that will be added to the network.

1. How do I upload the memory map from the scanner so I can compare against the logic that is built in ControlLogix. I created a *.dnt file from the network but it doesn't seem to have how the memory is mapped inside the scanner. When I create a memory map, all offline, and create the tags using the tag generator; it looks different than what the PLC is programmed to.

2. How do I create logic for just the 4 new devices that I am adding to the network using the DeviceNet tag generator? I don't want to screw with the existing as it is running fine and like I mentioned in the first question: the existing memory map logic that is created seems to be inconsistent when I create it using the tool.

I am probably missing a few questions, as I am super new to this. Any of you guys have any favourite documents that will help me? Thanks a ton!

There is an big collection of DeviceNet tips and tricks in the RA Knowledgebase, labeled the DeviceNet Book of Knowledge:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44883

> 1. How do I upload the memory map from the scanner ?

RSNetworx requires you to both "scan the network" to build the network diagram, and then "upload" from each device to get its configuration. The "Upload from Network" feature can work, but with a small network I prefer to individually
select each device and choose "Upload from Device".

The scanlist and memory map are saved in the nonvolatile memory of the DeviceNet scanner module, and can only be uploaded, edited, and downloaded using RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

With the exception of DeviceNet Safety devices, there's no configuration information saved in RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000.

> 2. How do I create logic for just the 4 new devices that I am adding to the network using the DeviceNet tag generator?

In general the DeviceNet Tag Generator is great for taking the drudgery out of creating device-specific UDTs and tags, and creating data table handling logic to manage them.

But it works best when it is done just once on the whole network configuration file. It's not designed or intended to be used to automatically add stuff to the network.

I think you're on the right path, uploading the scanlist and carefully learning and understanding how it relates to the UDTs, device-related tags, and the logic copying data in and out of them.

If you can upload, ZIP and post the files here, folks can give you some good advice about how the logic works.

Thanks for your prompt reply Ken.
If I understand correctly - I can go online to the network and individually upload the parameter details to the devicenet .dnt file? Will this also populate the memory map fields of what the current existing configuration of the network is?
However, you mentioned that everything is done online and it is not stored in the RSLogix5000. Does that mean that after I upload parameters from individual devices, I cannot store it onto the .dnt file and build my new 4 devices all offline?
Unfortunately I am not going to site until Wednesday. I am trying to build as much information base I can and then test out a few theories. :)