Flex I/O

Hi Brendan, thanks for the advice. First time using the forum. Actually I meant the manufacturer ABB, flex I/O. This is to be used with any Allen Bradley Logix Controllers in general. Type of flex I/O is S200-OB16P. :)

Hi John, yes they are the ones, they are already installed on site . The ABB Control Net Comms Module is to be replaced with a Rockwell Ethernet Module. I just need to verify that the IO modules operate correctly with L7 series controllers. I wont physically be able to do this until I go to site so for now I am just hoping someone can verify that this is possible??

I mean to add it as remote I/O using the 1794-AENTR to a ControlLogix. The I/O remains ABB, but the communication adapter changes to Allen Bradley..

Ahh, I have never heard of ABB 'FLEX' IO and did a quick Google but nothing came up. Complete part numbers always tell the full story though. :)

These S200 series modules seem to have the same suffix as their Allen-Bradley counterparts, eg. -IB16, -OB16 so they could indeed be exactly the same hardware under the sticker. I have no first hand knowledge of whether they will work, sorry.

All I can suggest is that it may be possible to get these to work by adding them as the normal Allen-Bradley variant and then by disabling the electronic keying in the module configuration although this is not recommended practice.

See the following tech note:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64318

Knowledgebase said:
Disabled Keying indicates the keying attributes are not considered when attempting to communicate with a module. Other attributes, such as data size and format, are considered and must be acceptable before I/O communication is established. With Disabled Keying, I/O communication may occur with a module other than the type specified in the I/O Configuration tree with unpredictable results. We generally do not recommend using Disabled Keying.

It should be possible. We did the other way around, we used Allen Bradley Flex IO's with ABB's 200 back in the day.
From what I've heard the only thing that differs between Flex and 200 is the CPU.