Servomotor Control using Siemens PLC

sherman4

Hi

I would like to start controlling a servomotor for a very simple rotary machine, and I would also like to use Simatic S7-200 PLC for such purpose.

Does anyone have experience controlling servos with S7-200? is it a suitable PLC for such applications?... Do I require special hardware?

Thanks for your advice.

I've only ever played with a 200 in an existing project, but I bought the s/ware (and associated docs) so here goes -

It depends. What kind of servo drive? Do you already have the PLC?
You can certainly use analog IO for control, you could hang an ASIbus module on a 21 series, the 22 series has a 485 port, not sure if it's only for config purposes but you can add ASI or Profibus to this. If the machine and control is very simple I think it would do the job (21 or 22?) but I'd be tempted to straight out buy a 315-2DP. If you've already got the PLC you'll need Step 7 MicroWin to configure it, the part no. is 6ES7810-2BC02-0YX0. Unfortunately I don't have access to the documentation with my copy right now.
Best of Luck!