AB HSCE Wiring An Encoder

Secpcb

I am rebuilding a line with 2 conveyor sections, that the process speed is calculated from a rate signal from 2 high-speed counter modules. The PLC that was in the line, that I have the schematic for, was a Mitsubishi and I am installing a SLC5/04 with 2) 1746-HSCE cards.

The manual shows wiring of a variety of encoders, with A, B & Z channels. However these encoders are only 2 channel (A & B per the Mitsubishi wiring) but the AB manual does not show this option. Even the appendix for a differential encoder mentions 3 channels.

Does anyone know how to wire a 2 channel encoder to a HSCE card? Or is it even possible?

I hope this can be done on a SLC, as I have no practical experience, or the software, for Mitsubishi.

Sure you can. The A and B pulses are for direction. The Z is a input that can be used for a reset of the counter. So depending on how you set up the Counter Reset Control will determine if you need a Z input or not.