Setting up Beckhoff on a Dell

ebookerjr

E
I am trying to setup Beckhoff software on my computer. We run strictly Dell for personal pcs, and there is a know problem with the the computers that have dual processor drivers for a single processor. Someone had made a VB script to replace the .hal file, but that results in me doing a sytem restore everytime I treid to use it. (4 times). There have been a few different methods to correct this, but no one remebers since its been a while ago. If this was my own PC, I would not think twice about trying different drivers. Has anyone had this problem?

kernel replacement

There are several ways to go about this. The safest is installing windows from scratch. When the first blue screen comes up after booting from the CD, press F5. An option of which kernel to install comes up. You will select the Standard PC and then continue normal installation.

Another way is to manually replace the HAL. In order to do this you need to get HAL.DLL and NTOSKRNL.EXE for a uniprocessor motherboard (standard PC). It is important that both files be the same version (e.g. same service pack). You simply replace the files in the windows\system32 directory and reboot the computer.

This link is an article that tells how to setup for dual boot option of both kernels:

http://www.praecelsus.com/Articles/200002.htm

Just for the record, the next release of TwnCAT supports dual processor motherboards.