software for tech support cases?

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Now that we have 50 machines out there, and growing.
I need to create a case number anytime someone calls in for support.

I won't be able to remember two years from now what I did or what some other employee did for that matter.

Any recommendations for software to use for this?

Or any other helpful tips for this?

Should I install Gold Mine on a virtual machine?

many years ago, I created a database with a front end, using DBase IV to enter details.

then my clever colleagues created their own Helpdesk System, where the guy on call entered all the details on the caller, the machine, the fault, the reason, and PLC rung details. That worked very well for many years, but now the factory has closed down, so I cannot even get a copy...

I suppose these days you could use something like MS Access and create your own database and entry system.

the company I used to work for had maintenance keep a record log book for each machine. Date, time, problem, and corrective action had to be documented.

Your company may want to buy record log books for each machine and include the same / more information and keep them in an office area.

regards,
james

I used GLPI in the past where I didn't have an existing ticket/inventory system to tie into.
Open source, Easy enough to try it out if you're interested.

We use Spiceworks. More tailored to the IT industry but we have made it work for PLC support calls, and it is web based so anyone can enter a ticket and get emails on changes to open tickets.

This could also be done with VBA and excel.

Over the past year I have created a couple of these for my work in relation to tooling logs and part inspection logs.

The interface can be shared with multiple users simultaneously and ours has worked well since I released it.

You can standardize the way the data is stored, and even write some functions to search the database by the "case#"

It takes time to write the code, but I think it would probably work pretty well.