A little more industrial Pi

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I realize that the general consensus is that the Raspberry Pi has no place in industrial automation, but it looks as though someone is making an effort to make them a little more rugged. I wouldn't mind checking one out for fun. In fact I probably will when they are available. Personally, I'm excited about this sort of stuff.

http://hackerboards.com/automation-controller-runs-linux-on-raspberry-pi-com/

I realize that the general consensus is that the Raspberry Pi has no place in industrial automation, but it looks as though someone is making an effort to make them a little more rugged. I wouldn't mind checking one out for fun. In fact I probably will when they are available. Personally, I'm excited about this sort of stuff.

http://hackerboards.com/automation-controller-runs-linux-on-raspberry-pi-com/

I think there are two things I'm leery of. One is the CoDeSys on Raspberry Pi specifically states in their documentation that it should be used for educational purposes only and not for real industrial applications. The page you linked to makes no mention of CoDeSys.

The other issue is that an out of the box RPi has 3 or 5V logic with almost no protection from the rest of the industrial environment. The page you linked shows the Raspberry Pi compute module built into a controller with things like opto-isolated I/O and relay outputs.

So this Pigeon RB100 is not just an out of the box Raspberry Pi but the Raspberry Pi Compute Module (which is the guts of the RPi) built into some sort of industrial board with real power input, I/O and communications ports.

Some may not want to program their industrial controller in Python or C but I think this hardware package looks at least worth of light industrial applications.

Well it is quite possible that it may not have any industrial use, but I like the idea and at least the direction. And I'd love to give it a shot in at least a few light industrial uses (as you say). I have a few ideas using Python, a camera and OpenCV that would be fun to use this for.

Again, I understand that it's not something to replace any PLC, just some cool stuff blending hacker boards and controls.

And thanks, for the link V0N_hydro!