SLC 5/05 E-IP Explicit messaging with Sick Lector 620

Teglaco

Good day folks,

I am trying to collect data via ethernet with a SLC 5/05 w OS 501 FRN 10 from a Sick Lector 620 OCR.

I am having trouble finding what the target device settings should be for the camera (Class, Instance and Attribute). I can't find anything from Sick referencing those values. I found the input and output assembly size (32) by looking through setup for the 5000 platform.

I am communicating with the camera via the sopas software but the EEM instruction times out when I try to read over the network from the controller.

Thank you, any help is appreciated,

T

Class 4 is the Assembly class.

If they have setup instructions for the I/O Assemblies then they probably call out the Instance numbers. 100 (output) and 101 (input) are the most common for vendor-specific I/O assemblies.

The actual data is Attribute 1 in the Assembly Object.

While the SLC-5/05 can do some good stuff with the EtherNet/IP Explicit Message (EEM) instruction, it is not creating a cyclic I/O object and it's a coin-toss about whether the end device will allow you to read and write the I/O assemblies if the I/O Connection is not actually established.

By my recollection, the EEM is also limited to a relatively small data size.

Thank you Ken,

Just got off the phone with Sick, they recommend a ******* serial - ethernet module that connects between their output module and the processor.

I guess I could do the same with a 1761-net-eni and get the same result.

The serial module vendor evidently got blocked by our vulgarity filters; there are a few vendors guilty of longago sins of self-promotion that do.

The NET-ENI is not a general-purpose serial to ethernet converter but rather a special-purpose EtherNet/IP PCCC Encapsulation to DF1 Full Duplex protocol converter. It can't do much on DF1 or on Ethernet that the SLC-5/05 cannot already do.

If you can post the device name (try adding hyphens or spaces) and what SICK says about it, Forum members may be able to give some advice.

Ah ha.

The module is a c-o-m-t-r-o-l devicemaster cmf 500.

Can I not use the 1761-net-eni as another serial connection? Ie feed the ethernet port from the 5/05 and use the serial port to talk to the camera. I would use it as a serial device rather than try and pick it up via ethernet. The serial port on the 5/05 itself is in use with a KT-1 driver for other gear on the machine.

I think you might have some mixed-up expectations on the functionality of the Com trol device and the Net-ENI and the SICK device.

Ethernet and RS-232 are just the descriptions of the physical layer of the connection.

What you need to address is the serial and Ethernet protocols.

My guess is that the Lector 620 uses a simple ASCII protocol to send out string data. It is basically a barcode reader, isn't it ?

Probably the two best ASCII -> Ethernet -> SLC-5/05 devices are the Real Time Automation gateways like the 435NBX family, and the Digi One IAP.

First figure out precisely how the Lector 620 communicates over serial, then you can decide on the right network interface.

I've tried to upload the Com trol info flyer but it exceeds the size limit. It looks alot like the 435NBX. I need to dig in a little but it looks like either one would work.