Load cells

ewok11

Hello .
I have a micrologix 1200 .
I want to connect 4 load cells to it so I can measure the corner weights of a go kart . And then do some sums to get left to right and front to back weight percentage.

So my question is can I connect these to a anglog input or am I best to us a amp on each load cell first ?

Depends on your load cells. Load cells measure in milliVolts, but usually have a controller that will send you a signal in milliAmps, or even a direct read over Ethernet as example. Your documentation of the load cells should clue you into what you can and can not do with them.

Some PLCs have input cards available that take mV signals from load cells or thermocouples directly. Check with your distributor.

I always used the load cell supplier's amp to get 4-20 mA because of concerns about RFI/EMI.

You need 2 things. A Load Cell Summing Box, and and a signal conditioner that provides the Excitation Voltage. There are several options from many sources.
My experience is with products from Rice Lake. Used digital readouts, and interfaced PLC to the readouts via RS232.

Here's one that does both. RS485, so you won't need the added expense of an analog card. Haven't used one, but it looks good. Might use it in the next project.

He will need 4 inputs if left/right front/back calculations are required.
As noted before, check Rice Lake or Hardy intruments for basic no frills weigh scale indicator with 4-20ma outputs. An ml1200 cannot handle Ethernet/IP.