How stable is kepserver

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am working on a project with Ignition and Kepserver(EX5). Later this week I will be starting a 30 day trial of each to try before we buy.

I was speaking to a colleague who had used Kepserver for a line control years ago. One PLC (S7-300 I think) and around 400 tags. Said he had a lot of issues with stability but things might have improved since then.

I thought there was a way to display quantity of tags in the gateway status page but can't find it now?

How many tags have you running on a single OPC server and have you had any issues?

I have worked with several versions of Kepserver and it runs really well. The current system I manage is a iFix SCADA with Kepserver talking to 15 PLC's. A mix of TI545's and Controllogix. The ifix database is over 12K tags.We had one version, 5.11 that caused issues but after I updated to 5.18, everything is good.

I am working on a project with Ignition and Kepserver(EX5). Later this week I will be starting a 30 day trial of each to try before we buy.

I was speaking to a colleague who had used Kepserver for a line control years ago. One PLC (S7-300 I think) and around 400 tags. Said he had a lot of issues with stability but things might have improved since then.

I thought there was a way to display quantity of tags in the gateway status page but can't find it now?

How many tags have you running on a single OPC server and have you had any issues?

I have used it many times over close to 15 years with no problems.

One application has around 30 devices and thousands of tags.

Patrick,

As you begin your 30 day trial, know that Kepware offers very good customer support, in addition to their documentation. I would certainly consider them an asset and should be used when needed.

If you need any additional documentation, you can obtain it from our web site.

Also, KepserverEX is up to version 5.20. If you don't have the latest version you can download it from our web site as well:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/kepwaredownloads.htm

Disclosure: ESI is an authorized Kepware Distributor.