Connect to B&R CP260

Ali Sarabi

I tried to connect B&R CPU CP260 via PC by rs232 cable.
automation studio couldn't recognized hardware I am not sure about what operation mode must be selected ($0-$F) before auto recognized hardware
meanwhile i want to know what runtime system is and is it possible it eliminated after months off from internal cpu memory
could anybody help me

I'm not familiar with the 2005 series, but I think the CP260 has a PCMCIA memory card to hold the program and should hold the program for several years without losing the data. Unfortunately, only the PLC can write to the PCMCIA memory cards, so you can't program it with a computer and then insert it into the PLC like you can with the CF cards on newer B&R PLCs.

This is the node switch information from the help file:

Operating mode switch
The CP260 is equipped with a hex switch, which is used as an operating mode switch. Different operating modes are available depending on the PLC software version.

PLC software <=V 2.0

Switch position Operating mode Description
0 Bootstrap Loader In this switch position, the operating system can be programmed via the online interface. User Flash is only deleted after the update begins.
1 - E Run with MC The CPU boots and installs all modules from the internal User RAM and User FlashPROM. Apart from data objects, all other modules are additionally installed from the memory card. The code for all programs is then copied to DRAM. The program code is carried out in DRAM to increase the speed of the operation.
F Diagnostics The CPU boots in Diagnostics mode. Program sections in User RAM and User FlashPROM are not initialized. After diagnostics mode, the CPU always boots with a cold restart.

PLC software > V2.0

Switch position Operating mode Description
0 Bootstrap Loader In this switch position, the operating system can be programmed via the online interface. User Flash is only deleted after the update begins.
4 Run without MC The CPU boots and installs all modules from the internal User RAM and User FlashPROM. The code for all programs is then copied to DRAM. The program code is carried out in DRAM to increase the speed of the operation. Any memory card found in the PCMCIA interface is ignored.
6 Run with MC The CPU boots and installs modules as described in switch position 4. Apart from data objects, all other modules are additionally installed from the memory card. They are also copied to DRAM.
8 Update In this switch position, the CPU checks if an update memory card is inserted. If not, the CPU goes into SERVICE mode.
Otherwise the operating system, System ROM, User ROM and, if available, FIX RAM on the CP260 is deleted and reinstalled from the memory card. This operating mode is already supported by PLC software V2.0.

If an error occurs during installation, the ERROR and BAT LEDs blink. When no errors have occurred during installation, the READY LEDs and RUN LEDs blink.

F Diagnostics The CPU boots in Diagnostics mode. Program sections in User RAM and User FlashPROM are not initialized. After diagnostics mode, the CPU always boots with a cold restart.