Dual networks

dlweber

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to set up dual wired networks on my work PC. One network will be the companies network. The other consists of a AB Micro820 PLC and a Keyence CV-X252AP camera controller.

I had a second network card installed into my PC, there is an un-managed netgear switch on the Camera network.

The PLC does not have its IP set yet as I am still waiting to get a micro SD card, however, the camera controller is set with its IP and mask.

All three device (will) have IPs in the 198.162.10.xxx range with a mask of 255.255.255.000. No gateway on any of the devices.

The problem is I cannot detect either of the two devices from my PC (the PLC is expected not to be detected) but either a ping to the camera's IP or a broadcast ping returns nothing.

One of the reasons I think I am getting this is I think I am pinging over the companies network. I am not sure how to specify over which network the computer should ping.

Right now my companies network works as normal, the industrial network shows as no network access.

Can someone help me navigate this dual network and make it usable. I would like to do bench testing with my camera system without having to swap Ethernet cords back and forth.

Thanks

If you set your pc up as static (one network card) then you can enter multiple ip addresses for that network card on the second tab of the network setup in windows 2k. I'm on me chromebook right now, just going from memory.

I was on the 10.1.0.x, the 192.168.0.x, etc.

There are more ways. just my two cents.

Your company network is not also 192.168.10.XX is it?

Did you set an IP manually on your second network card? If it's not DHCP, then it won't automatically have an IP address allocated like your office network and you'll have to set one.

Apologies if you've already done this:

Are both cables plugged into the laptop & in the correct socket?

Have you set the ips of the devices & checked they have cables plugged in?

Office network is DHCP 10.something.something.something

Second network is Static 192.168.10.xxx Mask 255.255.255.0
Both the camera and second network card are set to those settings
Cabling is correct (it is a desktop, doesn't make a difference really but leads to less confusion for me lol)

I have the plant network on wifi and a Keyence camera on LAN on my laptop. I pinged the camera and got an Immediate response. I pinged a PLC in the plant and got a response from the LAN IP saying it is unreachable. Then I got a response from the PLC over the wifi IP. So it looks like it tries one adapter, then, if unsuccessful, it tries the other.

If you have overlapping ranges then you will have to set a static priority for PLC device in your computer.

Look at your routing table and find out what the IF # of your "PLC network" adapter is, then add a route such like this (assume PLC is .150)

route add 192.168.1.150 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.2 METRIC 1 IF XX

Where "192.168.1.2" is the IP of your 2nd NIC on your computer,
METRIC 1 gives highest priority (lowest wins)
and IF XX needs to be replaced with IF 12 (for example) for the IF number of your 2nd NIC as shown by running "route print" from CMD.

Also need elevated CMD to set static route.

Use -P flag to make persistent across reboots.

I'd recommend completely disabling the company network card, as a test, to see if it is your PC or the devices.

I have seen windows use really wierd interface priority sometimes, ignoring the IP scheme. Never understood what was going on.

I have disabled the company network (and adapter) with no response.

I did reboot the equipment

When i get a chance I will work on commandos recommendations.

If you have a modern desktop, plug the cable directly from your laptop to the camera controller and try to ping. If the interface never comes up, or won't settle on a speed you probably have an issue w/ cabling or something forced to a specific speed.

You know the NIC on the company side is functional. Can you set a static IP address for that NIC, plug into the camera network and ping it from there?

Just to verify the devices are actually responding.

If you unplug the company side cable your pings should goto the camera network. But as others have mentioned, you will need to make sure you have a static address on that network since there is no DHCP.

I will try and adjust the original NIC but I believe it would not let me touch the settings in that connection, but I can try again.

Desktop is modern enough for that to work, I think.

After trying many different configurations, the fix was simple (and embarrassing since the IT guy was standing here with me).

My IP address was typed incorrectly in the camera, as many times as I thought I checked it and swore it was the right IP, it wasn't. Well at least I noticed it and the IT guy didn't catch it first so he can't hold that one over me lol.

Either way, thanks all for the help.