Com occupied ???

Pierre

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hummm.

Trying to connect a PLC software (Syswin 3.2) with com1 as I've done yesterday BUT...

I get a communication error "Device not open" message.

I check and have no other software running on this com...

But do I?

How can I get to know what is using the port?

I use a setup function in Winfax that detect the modems and it tells me that this port is used by another program.

How can I find what is using it?

OS is WXP Pro.

Microsoft ActiveSync?

I experienced a similar problem trying to use COM 1 on my PC (WinXP) but with a different communication program. In fact, even Microsoft HyperTerminal won't work. At any rate, it turned out that Microsoft ActiveSync had "sole possession" of COM1. When I disconnected ActiveSync, my COM port was available again.

I found it but ... then again.

Thanks Imi'ike I have disabled my Windows CE Active sync progam but it was not it.

It was X10nets.exe

I have installed a betta version of this new prgram to check on there supposed better conditionnal macros and when I terminate the processus I get my com port back.

The thing is that the software Active House Pro will only work with a USB connection. So why is it catching my com1?

I need to investigate further.

The question still stand:

How can I visuallise what is using which com port.

I use WinXP pro and I have got similar messages but on other programs. You could try uninstalling COM 1 port on device manager & restarting the computer again.

Why don't you use some other COM?

Pierre,

I've had a similar experience. Here it was RSLinx which was occupying the port. The reason for this was thata RSLinx at installation is set to run as a service. I've changed it to run as an application in the launch control panel and have had no problems ever since then.

Kind regards,

Pierre said:
The question still stand:

How can I visuallise what is using which com port.

And that's a good question, Pierre. I Googled around a bit, looking for a program that would identify what application is using which COM port, to no avail... :(

In my searching, I DID find that a lot of people are looking for exactly the same thing. The 'solutions' provided are all the same. Trial and error until you find the culprit... :mad:

I find it amazing that a program like this doesn't appear to exist... :unsure:

beerchug

-Eric

RSLinx was messing wth my comm port last week too when I was trying to use CX Programmer for an Omron. Stopping the driver using comm port didnt work, had to delete!

Have you tried using one of the USB to com cables they work well for newer laptops that doesnt come with a com port about $45.00 USD at most computer shops, also you can as one of the others suggested change RSLinx to application rather than service