unsolicited messaging

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Back in the 1990's I used unsolicited message to exchange data.

Aka, instead of the HMI polling the plc for data, I sent the data from the plc when it changed.

Why is this not a thing?

Is this even still possible?

And I could change the tv channel in a bar w/ my palm pilot.

And all vcrs worked the same.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the HMI.

Some HMIs do offer IO Messaging. I was just reading up on the Cmore from Automation Direct and setting it up to receive IO data from a ControlLogix processor, instead of asking for it.

Personally I could see the value of both, but the way HMIs are used in my applications (and, I would cautiously say, many applications) the need for the PLC to be the one sending the data rather than the HMI just asking for it doesn't really exist.

And I could change the tv channel in a bar w/ my palm pilot.

And all vcrs worked the same.

As long as you had an infrared transmitter, knew the TV/VCR model and IR codes, you could. But not sure what that really has to do with HMI to PLC data transmission other than the very generic "data being sent".