PanelView Plus

cjh

I've noticed that different manufacturer's Operator Interfaces on Ethernet/IP can be either client(master) or server(slave).

From what I've seen so far, it seems to me that the PanelView Plus operator interface panels are Ethernet/IP clients. Is this correct?

PV+ is not a controller nor can it act as an initiator, it is a client for a server resident in the structure. In PV+ you can have macros that control/initiate communications, but you will have to set up a timer in the server or PLC that calls the macro in the PV via a bit, then the PV can monitor the status of the bit and will execute the macro.

ie. if scanbit = 1 then....
you get the jest...

bitmore

Last edited:
Specifically, PanelView Plus is an EtherNet/IP Class 3 messaging client. It requests data from a server (almost always a controller) according to update settings, and sends data in response to keypresses and macros.

All of this is unscheduled (Class 3) traffic. Although the Standard PanelView can set up an I/O connection (Class 1) on EtherNet/IP with a Logix controller (and can thusly be played like a piano !) the PV+ cannot. Someday maybe, not now.

My "PV+ Head-Scratcher Of the Day" was the configuration of a CompactLogix over RS232 DF1. For some reason the PanelView kept attempting to pass through Ethernet to the programming PC to the PC's serial port, instead of using it's own serial port. When I finally hashed it out by manually entering the DF1 driver configuration, I found also that the "Address" you assign for the CompactLogix under the DF1 driver isn't the Node Number, but rather the Virtual Backplane Slot number (which is always Slot 1 for CompactLogix). Phew !

So...just to clarify since there seems to be a little contradiction between the 2 replies:
PV+ is the iniator (client) of communications, correct?
For example, if I use another operator interface with Control Logix that is a Ethernet/IP server, I iniate the communications in the Control Logix (I add a Generic Ethernet/IP device under my ENET module in the I/O configuration, choose the amount and data and update rate and it goes). With the PV+, I would not do this, correct?