FTView SE v8.1 setting up ODBC for datalog

KristienP

Hi All,

I have a client looking to be able to query logged data from FactoryTalk SE into Excel for internal reporting. The application hasn't been setup yet, but this is a requirement.

It appears I need to setup the Data Logs in FTView SE to write to ODBC instead of File Set. The issue is... I have no idea how to configure an ODBC server, or even what software I require. In the last 8 years I've been programming, this has never come up before, somehow.

There is a knowledgebase article (29789) on querying data, but not on how to setup the ODBC server.

I'm fairly lost, and could really use some direction.Thanks!

So do you know if they have a SQL Server database available? Ideally you would log data to a database like this. Which database they are using is information you would need to know.

OG

Well, you'll have SQL in order to make SE work. Required component.

Now, it will be the express version probably, but no reason you can't use that to test the waters.

In VBA you can connect to SQL without needing to mess with ODBC. Something like this:
Public Const strCnn As String = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=SQLSERVERNAME;Initial Catalog=DATABASENAME;UID=USERID;PWD=PASSWORD;"

PS. This works with the free SQL desktop version as well.

Thank You!! That is exactly what I needed to see. I figured it wasn't too complicated, I just didn't know where to begin.
His followup article on creating an SQL database is helpful too, because his example uses the TagDB that is setup by default. RA Tech Notes say NOT to use that for Data Logging in several places.