1768-ENBT needs keying disabled to work

mscholz

I have a Compact Logix with a 1768-ENBT talking to 9 1734-AENT remote racks. I needed to update the firmware revision in the ENBT and it won't talk to the AENT's unless I have the keying in the ENBT disabled. I think the fix is to update the firmware revision in the software. It doesn't matter if I am offline, the revision is greyed out. Is there a way to change the revision without having to delete the entire ENBT I/O tree and creating it all over again?

Is there a disadvantage to simply leaving electronic keying disabled ? As long as there are no unusual version dependencies or compatibility issues, the system should run fine with electronic keying disabled.

Changing the Major Revision of the root network bridge module does require deleting and re-inserting the module.

A workaround is to create a new Ethernet module in a slot number where it doesn't exist, then copy/paste the modules from the old network to the new. Then delete the old network and change the Slot number of the new Ethernet module.

There will be some limitations to doing that with a 1768 controller because it supports only a few network modules, but it's worth a shot.