Crimson 3.0 Connection Issue to a QLogix PLC

karkai6

Hi everyone..

This is my first attempt trying to connect a QLogix PLC to the Crimson 3.0 software.

I am using the G310 emulator to view the tags. The communication to the PLC is through the TCP/IP Protocol.

I chose the Modbus TCP/IP Master from the driver dropdown list and entered the Ip Address of the PLC in the Primary IP Address of the device and the port number in the TCP Port section.

Is there any way to check if the communication to the PLC works? I tried referencing a couple of data tags to the PLC registers, but I get a blank field. So I cannot narrow down if the blank field is due to a wrong register or if the communication to the PLC module is not active.

I tried hunting around online, but have not found much relevant information.. Any help or pointers would be appreciated...

With the emulator, there are extra hurdles, like making sure you have mapped the Ethernet port of the emulator to the real one in your PC. I have had success using the emulator with Modbus TCP and Ethernet IP, but had mixed results with some serial protocols which add even more variables with RS-232 converters and what-not.

Also, there is the infamous zero or one based addressing and there can be byte swap and word swap snags. All of these things can be overcome with the flexibility of Crimson.
With Modbus, I like to read a register first. Just one register that I can manipulate at both ends. Then I will move on to floats and ensure the byte and word level order is matched up, and if I need boolean tags I will test one or two of those before I call the settings good and move on to adding a bunch more tags.

To prove communications are occurring I always have a tag with its data set to "IsDeviceOnline()"

In parenthesis of the function, you can put the device name or device number from the communications settings. This flag tag will be true when communications are okay,and false when they are not. I also normally will set up an alarm for this tag with a 5 second delay and a meaningful label. if this tag doesn't work, then there is probably something wrong in the communication settings or physical media. Once this tag is working then you can move on to getting tags working.

I did get it working finally..

The problem was an incorrect port number.

I normally ping the PLC from a web interface using an IP 10.147.160.100:8080

So, I assumed the Port number was 8080, which turned out to be incorrect.

I tried leaving the port number at default which is 502 and it started reading data from the PLC.

I do not know what the port number of 502 implies, but that is what got it working.

Thanks for all the help though.