ML 1400 <--> Yaskawa V1000 EIP

The Stu

I have a MicroLogix 1400 and 2 Yaskawa V1000 VFDs. I'm trying to send run (forward only) and speed commands to the VFDs over Ethernet IP using explicit messaging. According to both manufactures their half of the setup appears to be correct, but it doesn't work. I only get a network time out error in my MSG block(s). Any additional information would be great!!

Welcome to the PLCTalk community !

Do a Forum search on "Ken Roach MSG AC Drive Bad Idea Poor Practice Not Supported".

But I digress.

First verify that the drive is at the IP address you think it is, using PING or HTTP (type its address into a web browser).

Then verify that the drive is listening for EtherNet/IP messages. My favorite tool for that is Eli Fulkerson's TCPING. Port 44818 is EtherNet/IP, and Port 502 is Modbus/TCP. Check both to be sure your drive interface is set up for the protocol you think it is.

In ladder logic, trigger that MSG instruction just once, and look for an error code.

Posting screenshots (cropped and in PNG format please !) is also a helpful way to get the info involved in MSG instructions across to the readers.

Again, welcome to the Forum !

Thanks for the reply Ken!

I used the TCPING tool and found both ports are open.

Port 44818 has an avg time of 10.581ms and a max of 38.984. I thought that max was high so I retested and got a max of 15.258ms.

Port 502 has an avg time of 3.818ms anda max of 15.258ms.

I have attached screen shots of the MSG setup screen and multihop screen.

Thanks for the help.

Also Ken I cannot find the article you suggested.

setup screen.PNG multihop.PNG