Operator Interfaces

GregPLC

Alright, its time..... We're a 98% AB plant at the moment.... I have a few upcoming project that will require touchscreens.... Since we're an AB plant, obviously we have all PanelView interfaces. I want to try something different.

A couple of different manufacturers I'm researching...

1.) EZTouch from Automation Direct.

2.) Maple systems.

Both seem like a descent value. I'm curious if anyone has experience with either of the above panels. They both have starter kits, so ya get the cable and software, and it seems inexpensive relative to AB. (that a whole different thread!)

The graphics capability look better on the Maple systems screens than the EZTouch panels. (am I incorrect)?

I will be communicating to SLC 5/05's, which both seem to natively support (with the right cable)

How is the learning curve on both panels? I appreciate everyone's input, I have done some research on the net, but I'm having a hard time grasping the "look/feel" thing with them. Anyone's 2 pennies would be great.

Thanks,

Greg

I have used both, and each one has their advantages/disadvantages.

The EZ-Touch panels are REALLY easy (hence the name) to setup and program. The software is excellent. Some limitations that I wish they didn't have are no overlapping objects (which really sucks), and you can't have multiple screens (windowed screens).

The Maple software is, in my opinion, unfinished. They finally added a desperately need zoom function, but it is limited to 2x zoom, and some things look 'funny' when zoomed (IOW, not WYSIWYG). That said, you can REALLY customize the screens exactly how you want them, but it takes a while to figure out how to do certain things.

Both have demos software available at their websites. Try them BOTH before you decide... (n)

I prefer the Maple Systems over the EZ-Touch, mainly because of how customizable the Maple Systems is. I have figured out (most of) the software, so that doesn't have as much to do with my selection.

Just to give you yet ANOTHER choice, check out Beijer's E-Terminals. I haven't tried their touch screen versions yet, but their capabilities far surpass the EZ-Touch and Maple Systems, and the software is the best I've seen. They are what I will be using from here on out, even though they cost more.

beerchug

-Eric

Eric Nelson said:
The Maple software is, in my opinion, unfinished. They finally added a desperately need zoom function, but it is limited to 2x zoom, and some things look 'funny' when zoomed (IOW, not WYSIWYG). That said, you can REALLY customize the screens exactly how you want them, but it takes a while to figure out how to do certain things.

I agree with Eric. Maple is REALLY cool, but takes some patience. One cool thing is the ability to simulate the touchscreen on your PC, with pass-thru data from the touchscreen. So if you're connected, you actually get data from the PLC. This saves you the time of waiting for a download to see how your screen looks.

For your reference: Maple, KEP, and Nematron are all essentially the same touchscreen and programming software. So, shop around for your best price. I know from experience that KEP list price is similar to the comparable AutomationDirect screen.

AK

Eric,

I was reluctant to mention them since our company represents Beijer but I also like their OIT's. We rep the Cimrex brand name but they look the same as the E-Series you provided a link to.

The only other ones I've used are standard Panelview and Moeller's MV4 line so I couldn't compare to EZ-Touch and Maple. Actually, the Moeller MV4 is the most powerful of the one's I've used but, of course, has a German flavour to it.

Back to the Beijer/Cimrex. Some of our customers have also used the dual driver capabilities to talk to dissimilar controllers. More on the whole line is here:

http://www.beijerelectronics.com/we...B/$File/cimrex+brochure_March2004_English.pdf

NO AB

I have checked out the Beijer. Correct me if I am wrong but they do not seem to support AB DH+. I have a need for a display that can do
two comm channels simultaneously. I need to connect to Control Technique EN-208 drive (ModBus over RS-232/485) and to PLC 5/25
DH+. So far I could only find CTC's Power Station being able to do the job. The problem is that their AB DH+ interface is a PC-104
SST card and so it is quite expensive.
Any ideas anybody?
Thx.

Jiri,

I would contact Beijer Directly to ask them about the DH+ They are constantly writing new drivers.

Our local Beijer Office is:

Beijer Electronics
939 N. Plum Grove Road
Suite F
Schaumburg, Il 60173

The technical guy there is Tom Reiter and the office phone at their office is:
(847)-619-6068

Quote from Beijers sales material:
"The driver list continues to grow and increase communication options
for our customers. We offer drivers for more than 70 protocols.
Currently, the Ethernet drivers include*:
Allen-Bradley ControlLogix
Allen-Bradley SLC
... "

I believe that Greg needed to communicate with an SLC5/05.

For Jiri, maybe the number of options increases if a KF2 is added to the formula. It seems that DH+ is the ONLY way to communicate with a PLC5/25.

A new KF2 is very expensive. Try to get one via ebay if you can. We have a whole shelf full of KF2's and have no use for them.

Note: A KF2 will not bring the full throughput of DH+. But it is useful enough for the less demanding application.

I used to use the DirectTouch and have switched to the EZTouch. The one thing I fell in love with is the Decimal variable and the Set Invisible switch. We build machines with up to 4 heads and with the DirectTouch that meant 4 screens; one for each system (I have a master program that let's the operator pick the number of heads and number of decimals, among other options). Then on these screens I would have to display from 0 to 3 decimals. Now we are up to 16 screens! And if I had to make a text change, I had to do it to all 16 screens.

With the EZTouch, I can do all of it with just 1 screen. For me this was fantastic. I went from almost maxing out the DT display (980k out of 1024k) to only needing around 200k. It is now much easier to maintain and change.

I have not used any other screens yet but am looking at the Nematron as a replacement for both the touch panel and the PLC. I have not quite decided yet because I just have not had the time to fully research it.

If wash down is important and you are planning on going with a 6" display, stay away from the EZTouch Slim. They are only NEMA 1.

Bob

I haven't used Maple for years. In those days everybody's interface configuration software stunk, so my impressions of their software are meaningless. However, I will say that the Maple hardware has always had a great reputation for reliability and value.

The EZ-Touch has become my preferred touchscreen. The software is easy to use, easy to configure, and they have good tag import/export functions from CSV files. In my experience they run on A-B networks better than PanelViews, although I haven't use DH+. I have good experience with support from AutomationDirect.com. The hardware hasn't given me any problems. I understand that for some users bulb life used to be a problem but that has been improved. I think there trend displays could be improved, but that is my only real gripe.

Norm and Jesper,
Thanks for your help. I am going to consider KF2 as well as contact Beijer. I am also going to look into the Fieldserver comm device
(www.fieldserver.com) which maybe able to do the job.
For what ever it's worth I will be putting a free (I mean free
not a demo) DF1 driver on my web site in next few days.
It's a .NET framework component. Real easy to set up.
Works with Micrologix and SLC500. I will post a message when ready.
Any interest?

Ok....I have tried both demo software packages, I agree with the general consensus that EZTouch is a bit more intuitive. I think I'll try an 8" in one of my upcoming applications. Tom, thanks for the pointer about the slim bezel model...We're an aseptic food plant, so most everything is washdown.

Greg

Hi Jiri Toman,

You mentioned your DF1 driver is a .net component. Does it work in a non .net framework environment, say W2000.

Thanks

It is unfortunate about the slim bezel because the standard bezel is big and crappy looking contraption. I have both but use the slim whenever possible.

The ez touch are by far the easiest to learn in my opinion.

Chavak,
If I am not mistaken you can load VB.NET on to W2k. VB.NET will load
.NET framework. It should work. Longhorn will have .NET framework
incorporated. Don't stay with VB6 it's passe. VB.NET is a much better
programming environment, it just takes a little longer to learn.