OT...Compact work van

Bob O

Looking for opinions/reviews/recommendations on the compact work vans that are out there. I currently have a uncomfortable noisy full size that I don't really need all the cargo space so I'm wanting to downsize.

TIA for any opinions

I or the company purchased the Ford Tansit Connect after looking at the Nissan NV and then the Chevy twin of the Nissan.

Funny story on the Ford Transit.

They are made in Turkey (and some in Spain), but to avoid the 1960's era "Chicken Tax" (Google it if you don't know what that is), Ford imports them as "Leisure Activity Vehicles" which qualifies them as "passenger cars", because imported "light trucks" are taxed under the chicken tax. To qualify as passenger vehicles, they have to import them with seats for passengers all over the back; no cargo space. but they don't actually sell many of them here as passenger vehicles so they bring them in to a warehouse in the US and strip the seats out, then trim out the interiors as work vans. Then they put the seats back on the boats and send them back to Turkey, where they are bolted into the next batch being shipped over. Total tax dodge scam.

Ford got their you-know-what in a wringer over that with the FTC and was told to cease that practice in 2013, but have not yet done so as they appeal the decision.

Daimler does the same thing with their Sprinter vans; our company bought one two years ago and it came with the nice cargo floor and tiedowns (which don't allow fastening of seats to the floor) with a stack of seats on a pallet in the back.

The rumor was that Daimler actually usually shreds the seats to comply with the import rules, but I suspect that's a legend.

I bought a 2014 Transit Connect for use as a disabled transport van and so far it's doing the job admirably. The loading and miles traveled are a lot less than if it was in work van service.

Funny story on the Ford Transit.

They are made in Turkey (and some in Spain), but to avoid the 1960's era "Chicken Tax" (Google it if you don't know what that is), Ford imports them as "Leisure Activity Vehicles" which qualifies them as "passenger cars", because imported "light trucks" are taxed under the chicken tax. To qualify as passenger vehicles, they have to import them with seats for passengers all over the back; no cargo space. but they don't actually sell many of them here as passenger vehicles so they bring them in to a warehouse in the US and strip the seats out, then trim out the interiors as work vans. Then they put the seats back on the boats and send them back to Turkey, where they are bolted into the next batch being shipped over. Total tax dodge scam.

Ford got their you-know-what in a wringer over that with the FTC and was told to cease that practice in 2013, but have not yet done so as they appeal the decision.

This is an interesting note of trivia, but I believe you're thinking of the transit connect (which looks like an older Ford Focus.)

The transit is assembled in Kansas City:

https://corporate.ford.com/content/...-detail-pages/kansas-city-assembly-plant.html

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transitcommercial/

Been using a Honda Element as work van for 10 years. Removed rear sets and plenty of room. Recently picked up a newer 2014 model. Too bad they don't make them anymore.