Uploading From a Control Logix L-7

One of the guys that run our pump stations just called me. The PLC is triggering an input into a dialer with a generic "general alarm."

I need to go online with the PLC and see what inputs trigger that generic alarm output.

The problem is I have only ever worked at 1 plant. I have all the code for my PLCs. So I normally just open the program file and go online.

I dont have the code for the pump station PLC.

Is uploading from the PLC as simple as opening RS Logix, setting the communication path, and selecting UpLoad?

Thank you

That's all you have to do assuming that you have the same version of Logix that matches the firmware revision of the controller.

It will ask you more questions than normal, like specify a file name, then when you do it will ask you if you want to create it.

What version of Logix5000/Studio5000 do you have installed and what is the firmware revision of the controller?

I have RS Logix 20.04. The PLC was developed with 20.03, but its backwards compatible. I'm not sure on the firmware. But the pump station and my plant were built under the same contract with the same integrator. So I am assuming its the same as my plant.

Why do you ask?

Thank you for your reply.

I am hoping they dont call me back tonight and I can get the code from the integrator tomorrow.

I only ask because if the firmware is anything but 20.X (in your case) you will not be able to upload. The major firmware revision must match the installed major revision of software.

Sounds like there's a good chance that this won't be an issue though, just keep this in mind if it gives you fits uploading. And just for your information, multiple major revisions on Logix/Studio5k can be installed on a machine together.

Also keep in mind that if you don't have the original code you wont get any comments if you upload. Being tag based that isn't as much of a issue as the old RsLogix 500 days but just a FYI. I don't think you could store the comments on the processor until V21.