Logix Designer won't download to PLC

MartyMaucher

Ok, seems like simple problem...I can't figure out why Logix Designer sees the PLC but won't download to it. The PLC is in Remote mode. What does the yellow '?' mean?

nodownload.PNG

RSLinx can see that there is a device occupying the IP address but it can't reconcile what the device is. You need to update your EDS database with the files that describe the devices marked with the yellow question marks not crossed out.

I would find it very strange that the issue here is purely that you don't have any of those EDS files? Why would an install of Studio 5000 not have a 1756-ENBT, 1769-L33ER or 1769-L36ER EDS file registered?

Does anything show up on this workstation as correctly recognized?

Your screenshot is of a Who Active session in Logix Designer. What does an RSLinx Classic RSWho session display for the same driver?

Please list the versions of software you are using. Particularly RSLinx Classic.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
As George mentions, it is odd that it isn't recognizing anything. According to what we are seeing, we can't identify ANY of the devices, and, some of the devices are not actually present (red "x").

Go to RSLinx and view the RSWho menu. For the ENBT module right click on it and see if it gives you an option to upload the EDS files.

OG

This did work fine a few weeks ago - I just need to download an update to the ranges. Strangely, the IP address did seem to change - I thought I left it at 172.16.100.51, but now it clearly says on the ethernet card 172.16.100.86.

I can ping it, and the software sees it in RSWho. I does connect through a weird looking Allen Bradley Stratix 8300 ethernet switch. Still checking things....

Logix Designer v27
RSLinx Classic Lite 3.74 CPR 9 SR 7.4

NoDownload2.jpg

Last edited:
Still got this downloading problem. To simplify things, I have another Control Logix rack at my desk with a new Logix5573 1756-L73 controller at IP 172.16.13.40. Logix Designer will not allow me to even Update Firmware on this one.

It's as if Logix Designer does not recognize any 1756-L73 controller anymore. I updated it from version 27 to 28 (latest) and added all the 1756 EDS files from AB, and get the same result.

If it is any clue, I have also been working on a Compact Logix 1769 (the one at 172.16.13.62) and can download to it no problem.

:confused:

ControllerAtDesk.jpg CompactLogixOK.jpg 1756L73AtDesk.jpg

What is the message scrolling on the L73?

Try using the Ethernet Devices driver in RSLinx. Type in the IP address for your EN2T and see if that driver sees the Ethernet module. Can you show us a screenshot of your EtherNet/IP Driver settings window. Lets see if we can eliminate the driver as an issue.

OG

Last edited:
PLC Download fixed now

** OK, got it working now. I used ControlFlash 13 to update the firmware on the L73 to v28 and was able to download the Main Program. Still a bit puzzling why Logix Designer would not let me open the tree and select the controller and update the firmware. Maybe I changed the firmware earlier on the first controller?

Either way, the problem was a firmware mismatch. I used ControlFlash to update the firmware and now Logix Designer can see it / download to it. Apparently, at least the major versions of Logix Designer and firmware in the L73 must match. I think the L73 will scroll the firmware version at startup.
Thanks,
Marty.

L73OkNow.PNG

Last edited: