Editing/changing/selecting FactoryTalk ME parameter files

Daveyh

I'd like to be able to change the parameter file so that I can change the tags used when i start ME.

Or is there a way to pass parameters or parameter file names to the program? Something like:

MERuntime.exe MyHMI.mer #1=123, #2=456
-or-
MERuntime.exe MyHMI.mer /parameterfile1.par
MERuntime.exe MyHMI.mer /parameterfile2.par

Thanks!

Yes, that's the general idea. The machines have their serial number as part of the OPC tag name. We don't want to have to individually make a MER for each unit- especially for our techs and sales people that need to be able to access multiple machines.

For example, we might have an indicator connected to a tag:
#1.valve1

So for machine 123 the tag is 123.valve1. For machine 456 the tag is 456.valve1. If "123" were entered into a text config file or an onscreen textbox, the hmi would link the indicator labeled "Valve 1" to 123.valve1. Ideally it would be nice to change the tags interactively while running but that does not seem possible.

The closest we've gotten is to have one display open another display and specify the parameterfile to use. That becomes impractically cumbersome when dealing with thousands of serial numbers.

any ideas??

no, can't do that.

What are you trying solve?
One *.mer file for different machines?

You will have to create a parameter file for each serial number that you want to use.
No other way.

But you can use the Display Control activeX to get things started. That lets a tag/plc open a display with a parameter file. The parameter file it uses will be the value in the assigned string tag.
Yes, you could type in a serial number and open that display (as long as a parameter file was there with the same name).

I think the trick will be how many parameter files can you use in FTView ME.

I use the ActiveX to get the IP address of the terminal. Then use that with the ActiveX to launch a macro which sets tags unique to that station. Mainly what that station is allowed to operate. Then I have a Tech screen where they can activate other functions if the terminal next to it goes down, so they can cross cover each others operation if a terminal goes down.

arlenjacobs said:
...I think the trick will be how many parameter files can you use in FTView ME.

Performance & Memory information found during testing with PanelView Plus 6 terminals

Approximately 600 parameters can be passed without affecting performance.

Parameter files over 27MB will not save.

An application can have over 600 parameter files as long as only 600 or less parmeters are passed to a display at any one given time.

Regards,
George