Water Meter with Zelio and Flodis

Cardozo

Hi,
Sorry but I'm completely new to programming and I came here hoping to have some help.
I have a Flodis water meter (https://www.itron.com/aunz/PublishedContent/F11142-Flodis_MID_pb_EN_10-10.pdf) with a Cyble Sensor (https://www.itron.com/local/Indonesia Portfolio/Cyble_Sensor_brochure.pdf), that gives an output signal that I want to connect with a Zelio SR3B101B (http://datasheet.octopart.com/SR3B101B-Schneider-Electric-datasheet-14413693.pdf).
However, I never used any of those and I do not know how Zelio logic works.

Can I connect the output signal of the water meter directly to the Zelio? How do I program the Zelio to know the value of the flow rate and the water consumed since the beginning?

Thank you

The flow sensor has a pulse output, so the flowmeter needs a pulse input.

> know the value of the flow rate
Calculating flow rate requires an accurate internal clock because flow rate is units/time, ie, liters/second or liters/minute.

> water consumed since the beginning
That is called a total, and is accomplished by a totalizer, which for pulse inputs is done with a retentive counter. A counter counts pulses, a retentive counter remembers its last counted value when the power is turned off and resumes counting from that value when the power is turned back on.

I haven't played with the Zelio so I don't know whether it has an internal clock with which the flow rate can be calculated or whether it has a retentive counting function or not.

But I do know that there are lots of dedicated devices designed for the task you describe that are called something like
pulse input flow rate and totalize flowmeter
that indicate flow rate (L/min) and total, like the one here:

F012_pulse_input_flow_rate_and_total.jpg

http://www.fluidwell.com/statisch/download/F012-DATA-EN-V1612.pdf

These devices need a DC power supply and need to be configured (select values from a menu or enter a value). If you are total novice, you might want to buy one from a vendor from whom you can get technical support. Sometimes paying more and getting support is less costly than a bargain where you're stuck not getting it working.

Last edited:
So I need to have a pulse input in Zelio? Or do I need to program it in order to read the pulses?
Yes, I'm a total beginner. However, this equipment belongs to the University where I study and I have to use it and I can't buy anything else :(

> Water consumed
Since the system is always turned on (power supplied) can I use a normal counter? However, the Zelio Logic Counter has a limit and then resets, then how should I do the totalizer?
Should I use the counter directly or should I use it with other function blocks?

Thank you

Cardozo,
I was looking at the equipment list you provided. There may be a issue with the Zelio that you have selected. According to the spec sheet the Zelio has 24V AC inputs. The Pulse train will be a DC pulse. So I don't think you will get the pulse to register in the PLC. You may want to look at using a Zelio that uses DC inputs.

You also need to look at the K-Factor (Pulses/Unit Volume) of the meter your are using and make sure you pick a K-Factor that will be compatible with the DC input of the PLC. In other words if the pulse rate is too fast it can happen faster than the DC input can pick it up. So unless the Zeilo has a High Speed Input you will have to choose a K-Factor that gives you the most resolution but does not overspeed the input.

Post back if you have any questions about this.

Cardozo,
I was looking at the equipment list you provided. There may be a issue with the Zelio that you have selected. According to the spec sheet the Zelio has 24V AC inputs. The Pulse train will be a DC pulse. So I don't think you will get the pulse to register in the PLC. You may want to look at using a Zelio that uses DC inputs.

You also need to look at the K-Factor (Pulses/Unit Volume) of the meter your are using and make sure you pick a K-Factor that will be compatible with the DC input of the PLC. In other words if the pulse rate is too fast it can happen faster than the DC input can pick it up. So unless the Zeilo has a High Speed Input you will have to choose a K-Factor that gives you the most resolution but does not overspeed the input.

Post back if you have any questions about this.

Hi!
Sorry but I made an mistake, the one I have is the SR3B101BD (http://datasheet.octopart.com/SR3B101BD-Schneider-Electric-datasheet-14413692.pdf)

The meter has a K-factor equal to 1, then the Zelio probably will read the input correctly right?

That is better (y)
Your K-Factor of 1 will be fine. I seen on the spec sheet that the input has a max counting speed of 1kHz. So you can make your K-Factor higher if you want. The advantage of using a higher K-Factor is if you miss a pulse that is a smaller volume that is not "measured". For example: If your K-Factor is 10 pulses/liter and your system misses a pulse you only missed 0.1 Liter. If your K-Factor is 1 and you miss a pulse then you have missed 1 liter of fluid. So you will have to determine what your tolerance for measurement error is and set your K-Factor accordingly.

That is better (y)
Your K-Factor of 1 will be fine. I seen on the spec sheet that the input has a max counting speed of 1kHz. So you can make your K-Factor higher if you want. The advantage of using a higher K-Factor is if you miss a pulse that is a smaller volume that is not "measured". For example: If your K-Factor is 10 pulses/liter and your system misses a pulse you only missed 0.1 Liter. If your K-Factor is 1 and you miss a pulse then you have missed 1 liter of fluid. So you will have to determine what your tolerance for measurement error is and set your K-Factor accordingly.

I already have the equipment with the K-factor of 1. So, if I understood correctly, I can connect the sensor directly to the Zelio, right?
On a programming level, I only need to use a Counter or I must do something else?

Thank you

Counting pulses gives a total: Liters

To get a flow rate, you need a timer because rate is units/time: liters per minute.

Counting pulses gives a total: Liters

To get a flow rate, you need a timer because rate is units/time: liters per minute.

How do I use the timer?
Sorry but I never used Zelio Logic before and I have very little experience in programming.

Thank you

I have never used Zeilo Logic either but will try and give you a "General" idea on how to do it.
There are 2 ways you can do a flow rate.
1. Start a timer and Set a counter to count the pulses and when you have counted the number of pulses you want look at how long that took. You will have to some math to get your rate.
2. Start a timer and count how many pulses you get in that time. Then do some math to the pulse to find out the flow rate (L/Min). (I think this is the easiest method)

Attached is a quick program I through together in RsLogix 500. I printed it as a PDF so you won't need any software to view it.

Quick Disclaimer: This has not been tested and debugged on a processor so there may be other things that you will need to add to make it work in your processor. You might need to add some One Shots or other logic to make it all work on your system. This should give you a idea how to proceed.

Last edited:
@9ICNET, your post looks like a spam that has intention to promote your store with the links in signature and that is not welcomed in this forum.