GE RXi PLC

acbelgad

Hi,
I am new to PLC programming. I want to talk to GE RXi CPU Ethernet port (GbE port) from my PC. This port supports MODBUS TCP. On PC, i am running a LABVIEW MODBUS SLAVE GUI. PLC i plan to configure as MASTER. Now, while using COMM_REQ at PLC end, it asks for channel number (1-16) but TCP at my PC end works with port numbers. On my PC labview application, i need to specify port number i want to listen at. But at PLC side theres no way to specify port number i want to talk to. It only asks for ip address of server and channel number. So, what is channel number and how to mapp it to a specific TCP port.

Most people would have set up their data logging device (Labview) as the Modbus master and the PLC as the Modbus slave. I'm not sure why you think it is better to reverse that relationship.

The Rx3i can support a maximum of 32 simultaneous Ethernet connections. The PLC calls each connection a channel.

Last edited:
hi steve,
Atually i too wanted to make plc as server/slave and pc as client/master. But in RXi document GE provided, they only mentioned in details (with COMM_REQ commands flow) on how to configure plc in client move. They didn't mention about commands if one wants to make plc as server. I mean open tcp command (3000) they mention will open the connection as plc client. What is the equivalent command for tcp server (make plc ethernet to listen on a port).
would be helpful if you would guide me. thanxx

is it like in this case i dont need to open tcp connection instead start reading directly? Mean no need for 3000 command, directly read using 3003?

I would use a Modbus or PLC IO Server. Most IO servers (Kepware, Matrikon, TopServer....etc) support internal tagging, that you can assign IO to a tagname, and then request info from the tag with your PC application.
Way easier than doing communications through comm requests from the PLC.

Last edited:
im not sure with this modbus io server thing on GE PLC and how to use it.
can anyone to my previous post in specifics, thanx

You don't have to program anything to use the Ethernet interface as a Modbus TCP server. Just make sure your Modbus TCP client has the correct IP address.
Modbus addresses 4xxxxx correspond to %R memory in the PLC.
Modbus addresses 3xxxxx correspond to %AI memory in the PLC.
Modbus addresses 0xxxxx correspond to %Q memory in the PLC.
Modbus addresses 1xxxxx correspond to %I memory in the PLC.

The RXi is a little different than the RX3i, but most ports are very similar.

As with the other PAC processors all one needs do to 'Turn ON' MB-TCP Server is to enable it in the Hardware Configuration.

And as NetNathan said if you use an SRTP Driver instead you will have much more flexibility and no Address interpretation.

RXi_MPTCP.jpg

Last edited:
hi steve,
Thanks for ur info. So basically PC client program can read & write to these modbus addresses which will ultimately be read or written to CPU %R or %AI or %Q or %I memory areas? am i right? So anything i write to suppose %R memory can be read by PC client?