PLC 5 programming help

Quack07

I am in need of some help to perform a simple task in RSlogix5. We are using RSview32 to control heat zones on an extruder barrel.

We have individual on/off toggle buttons so that the operator can turn these zones on/off. These buttons just toggle the bits. 0 puts the zone in OFF mode. 1 puts the zone in AUTO mode.

They would like to add a "shutdown" button and a "heat up" button. The "shutdown" would turn all zones off. The "heat up" would turn all zones on.

How would I program this so that the individual buttons would work as well as the "do-all" buttons.

I am no programmer by any means. Troubleshooting and making simple changes is what I do.

Thanks in advance.

I think a little more info is needed. Are you using a display and/or physical buttons? It is probably easier to make these new functions as an either/or instead of both. The All on or All off probably should take priority and override the individual zone controls.

I think a little more info is needed. Are you using a display and/or physical buttons? It is probably easier to make these new functions as an either/or instead of both. The All on or All off probably should take priority and override the individual zone controls.

Using an Elo touchscreen as the HMI. The RSview project is loaded on the touchscreen. The buttons in the RSview project are used to toggle the on/off bits.

The All on or All off probably should take priority and override the individual zone controls.

I understand that. But how can it be written to where after the "All on" has been pressed, Operator can go back and press the individual "off" for a specific zone. And vice versa, so if "All off" is pressed, operator can go back and press the individual "on" for each zone.

A button in RSView 32 executes once when it is pressed. So if you press the "All on" it should set all bits to a "1" and then stop. So the user can go back and press a zone off button and it will write a 0 to that single tag and then stop. Nothing else happens until a button gets pressed again.

OG

Take a look at this and see if it fits your needs. Your structure will no doubt be different, but this should get you going in a direction that will accomplish what you described above. People in this forum seem scared of latches, but in this instance they suit the need perfectly.

All RSView Push Buttons (PB) should be momentary.

If "AllOnPB" or "Zone1PB" then LATCH "Zone1AutoMode"
If "AllOnPB" or "Zone2PB" then LATCH "Zone2AutoMode"
If "AllOnPB" or "Zone3PB" then LATCH "Zone3AutoMode"
If "AllOnPB" or "Zone4PB" then LATCH "Zone4AutoMode"
If "AllOffPB" then UNLATCH "Zone1AutoMode", "Zone2AutoMode", "Zone3AutoMode", "Zone4AutoMode"
If "Zone1OffPB then UNLATCH "Zone1AutoMode"
If "Zone2OffPB" then UNLATCH "Zone2AutoMode"
If "Zone3OffPB then UNLATCH "Zone3AutoMode"
If "Zone4OffPB" then UNLATCH "Zone4AutoMode"

I think that will work. I was thinking I needed to incorporate Latches but could not get the ball rolling. There are 14 zones so it is gonna be lots of rungs but that should work. Thanks

you really do not need latches

The button on the rsv in the action use the command

&set zone1 0
set zone2 0
set zone3 0

or you can set all to a 1 using the other button.

Each individual button will still write a 1 or 0, so you still have control over a certain area as long as they are a toggle or a single command.

edit: that is if nothing is writing to those words in the plc, this is controlled by the RSV.

Last edited: