1768-enbt

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am currently using a CompactLogix 1769-L33ER processor with the additional ethernet port. Am I right in stating that If I am wanting to connect to the compactlogix from my enterprise network, I would use that additional Ethernet port? Is there an additional communication module that I would connect to the 1769 buss?

Wait, stop, wait. There are a handful of mistaken assumptions here.

The "R" in the 1769-L33ER means "Ring". The two Ethernet ports on the controller are not separate and unique, but rather are built to support the "Device Level Ring" fast self-healing ring protocol.

These ports are not separate. They have the same IP address. They are not built to be connected to different networks, either physically or logically.

The 1768-ENBT is for use with an older platform; the 1768-L43 and 1768-L45 were a mid-range CompactLogix a few years ago that had a left-side 1768 (not 1769) bus connection for ControlNet, Ethernet, and SERCOS motion modules.

While the Prosoft MVI69 module does provide some data table emulation connectivity, it does not allow you to access tags at random or upload/download or go online with the CompactLogix.

If you want to connect a CompactLogix to both a local automation network and an enterprise network, the best way is to install and configure a network router of some kind.

Rockwell sells a couple of popular ones that also provide "Network Address Translation", so that one or more devices on the automation network appear to have addresses on the enterprise network.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Networks-and-Communications/Network-Address-Translation-Device

There are plenty of other IT-level routers and automation-specific routers on the market as well.

ah.. ok.. so I could use a Stratix 5700 and use the NAT on there to access it that way.....

On a project I was recently involved in with similar situation as OP we recommended a 1783-NATR. Depending how many devices you want the enterprise network to be able to see behind the NAT you may be interested in purchasing the Stratix switch with more NAT capability.

The 1783-NATR is designed for machine builders and will only allow a handful of devices to cross the NAT. In my example we were only interested in the enterprise network to connect to the PLC.

So does anyone know if I could use the 1783-NATR to connect to my compactlogix and use Indusoft software to retrieve those tags in the compactlogix?

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work assuming the NAT was set up for bidirectional routing from the enterprise network to the local network.

1783-natr

With the 1783-NATR there is a public port on the front which connects to the Enterprise network and then 2 ports on the bottom. Would one of the bottom ports be directly connected to the 1768-L33ER secondary port or to a switch in the cabinet to which the 1768-L33ER is also connected?

Those two ports on the bottom of the 1783-NATR are made to be used in a Device-Level Ring installation.

This is very similar to the two ports on any other DLR-equipped device from Allen-Bradley, including the 1769-L33ER, or a 1756-EN2TR or a 1734-AENTR.

If you are using a DLR type ring network, you should connect those ports in a DLR ring.

If you're just using these devices without DLR, you would connect just one of those ports on the 1783-NATR to an Ethernet switch that the controller is also connected it.

Indusoft should have no problem connecting to the controller; you'll point the IP address of the ABCIP driver sheets at the 1783-NATR's external address, configure the NATR to point to the controller, and it will run.

I'm using IWS 7.1 with a 1756-L71 v24 and 1756-EN2T today, and as far as I know their ABCIP driver works with all Logix family controllers.

When using a DLR, do you have to actually set that up in the configuration of the processor or is it set by default? Right now the controller has one ethernet port connected to a switch that all the other ethernet devices are connected to like the drives and the HMI..