GE Network Connections

BigJon1023

I know that there is a set # of Network Connections allowed by the PLC. In my case on my Versamax, that number appears to be 8. Is there somewhere on the PLC that is counting this number and storing it as data?

I have Versamax, 90-30, RX3i.

Thanks again for all who are helpful.

Look in the hardware configuration and you will see %I memory assigned to status bits for the Ethernet port. Consult the help files for your model for details. If I remember correctly there are two bits assigned to each channel, one for usage and one for error status.

Thanks for the help. I am new to this.

So I see Ethernet Status Address %I00145. If I go find that in the registers it is an 8 bit of binary value of 00000100. Does that indicate 4 connections?

No, that bit indicates full duplex communications.
The Ethernet interface actually uses 80 bits, in your case %I00145 - %I00224. Your example shows %I00145 - %I00152 with %I00147 on.
The manual I have for the CPUE05 (GFK1503D) lists bits 17 through 80 as reserved, but gives no details. In an Rx3i bits 17 through 80 relate to the status of each channel, bits 17 and 18 for channel 1, bits 19 and 20 for channel 2, etc. The meaning of the two bits depends on whether the channel is being used for SRTP protocol or Modbus TCP protocol.
If the VersaMax CPUE05 follows the same convention as the Rx3i, look for the status of %I00161 through %I00176. GFK2224L, page 11-10 details the meanings of the bits.

Last edited:
Yeah I just found the 80 bit thing in the help files. All of those Bits show 0's so I am guessing Versamax does not use them.

In looking at my RX3i's I have all 0's showing on those bits as well. They are at the least communicating with 2 HMI Servers....Shouldn't that be continuous channel use?

In looking at my RX3i's I have all 0's showing on those bits as well. They are at the least communicating with 2 HMI Servers....Shouldn't that be continuous channel use?
It's a good bet that the RX3i has its Ethernet Status bits configured to a different address. :unsure:

Well yes these are showing on %I02001...Which if I am correct would show channel status on 2017-2080?

Does anything need to happen to enable?

The CPU needs to be in "Run" and it depends in part which protocol is used on the Channel.
Are the 2 HMI Servers or Clients, what protocol.
The Channel Status bits are the last 64 bits of the Status Address. There are 2 bits per channel, to a maximum of 32 channels. When used for SRTP channels, one bit is an Error Bit and the other bit is a Data Transfer Bit. A Modbus/TCP Channel also uses these bits, where one bit is a Connection Open Bit and the other bit is reserved.
Valid memory areas: %I, %Q, %AI, %AQ, %R, %W.
Default memory area: %I.
If using the SRTP protocol you should see a bit come ON to correspond to the LED of the Ethernet port. It may not be ON long so you may need to "trap" it.

Last edited:
I consider them Servers but I am not sure of the GE difference. They are all Cimplicity. I am not sure how to find the language? If not SRTP is it still restricted to the Channel Count?

Big[URL="http://biblia.com/books/NIV/Jon102" said:
Jon102[/URL]3;693546]I consider them Servers but I am not sure of the GE difference. They are all Cimplicity. I am not sure how to find the language? If not SRTP is it still restricted to the Channel Count?
It may be a good idea for you to have someone who understands industrial communications take a look at it for you.
:confused: