L35E Issue

Andrew_W

Good afternoon

I'm having an issue connecting to a L35E, I was using it late last week and everything seemed to be working normally, now I can't seem to connect, the current state of things is it has Version 20 firmware installed the OK and DCH0 light are solid green, leading me to assume that the CPU is ok, and not bricked, the MS light on the Ethernet port is solid Red, the rest of the lights are off. When I try and connect via the serial port I get a successful auto-configuration message, however the the processor doesn't show up in RSlinx at all. However the CH0 light is flashing when RSlinx is polling for node 1, just to be safe I've tried the two serial cables I have, and find the same problem. I can't seem to do anything with the Ethernet port, as it doesn't even to seem to acknowledge the link. I've tried power cycling, and resetting the memory by disconnecting the battery and still haven't had any luck connecting. Is the CPU NFG? or is there anything I have missed?

I can't, as far as I can tell there is no active connection to the processor. If there is it isn't showing up on my IP scanner

Being it is for a L35E, I forgot to mention the E in the original post wouldn't this be the correct reference table

EtherNet/IP Indicators [FONT=&quot]The EtherNet/IP indicators are only on 1769-L32E and 1769-L35E controllers.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Module Status (MS) Indicator

These are the EtherNet/IP module indicators.

Indicator
Condition
Recommended Action
Off
The controller does not have power.
Check the controller power supply.
Flashing green
The port is in standby mode; it does not have an IP address and is operating in BOOTP mode.
Verify that the BOOTP server is running.
Steady green
The port is operating correctly.
Normal operation - No action is required.
Steady red
The controller is holding the port in reset or the controller has faulted.
1. Clear the controller fault.
2. If the fault will not clear, replace the controller.
The port is performing its power-up self test.
A nonrecoverable fault has occurred.
1. Cycle power to the controller.
2. If the fault will not clear, replace the controller.
Flashing red
The port firmware is being updated.

And if so, wouldn't that only affect trying to connect via the ethernet port and not the serial port?

Whoops, you're right - that was from the ControlNet section of the manual, not the Ethernet/IP section.

So, your OK light being steady green means the unit is "OK", and the DCH0 light being solid green means that Channel 0 has the default serial configuration.

So, I guess there are a few scenarios:
- "The controller is holding the port in reset". I have no idea what this means.
- "The controller has faulted". I doubt it - your OK light is steady green
- "The port is performing its power-up self test". Again, if it's hanging around after powerup, not likely to be the problem. At powerup, does it ever do anything than come on solid red?
- "A nonrecoverable fault has occurred". Not good, if this is the case.

What are your NS and link status indicators doing?

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 10.12.30 AM.jpg

Andrew_W said:
...the rest of the lights are off

If that includes the NS (network status) indicator, then this may be of interest. Run the rockwell BOOTP utility, and see if it's asking for an IP address?

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 10.15.49 AM.jpg

As I’m reading it (several documents on the web) no matter which fault it is if cycling power doesn’t clear the problem the controller is bad. That would explain why you can’t communicate via either port (serial or Ethernet). If the controller has detected a major non-recoverable fault during boot up it won’t finish booting I.E. none of the communications routines are active. How old is the controller? Is it under warranty?

Thanks all, I kind of figured the controller bricked itself. The controller is actually fairly old, we pulled it out of a plant 6 years ago during an upgrade and I've just been using it for bench testing since then.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw in the towel...have you tried using the BOOTP utility to see if it's sending out a BOOTP request, as I mentioned in post 7?

Andrew_W said:
...the rest of the lights are off...

...If that includes the NS (network status) indicator, then...Run the rockwell BOOTP utility...

ASF said:
...have you tried using the BOOTP utility to see if it's sending out a BOOTP request...

For the MS indicator...

Andrew_W said:
...Flashing green
The port is in standby mode; it does not have an IP address and is operating in BOOTP mode.
Verify that the BOOTP server is running...

ASF,

If the Ethernet port was in BOOTP mode, with no valid configuration, then the NS indicator would indeed be Off. But, simultaneously, the MS indicator would need to be flashing Green. As it is solid Red, I don't think it will be broadcasting BOOTP requests?

Andrew_W,

The Ethernet port is in shutdown mode, for whatever reason. Usually, with a solid Green OK indicator you should still be able to communicate via the serial port. As the Default Channel 0 indicator (DCH0) is solid Green, you should be able to communicate via a DF1 driver from RSLinx Classic.

You say you are getting a successful auto-configuration for the, I assume, DF1 driver in RSLinx Classic. So the port does seem to be active, but not communicating.

Parking the solid Red MS indicator to one side, for a moment, the only scenario I can remember where neither the Ethernet port, or DF1 on the serial port, will communicate on the 1769-L3xE controllers, is when the 1769 power supply switch is incorrectly set to 240VAC for a 120VAC line supply.

But it was hardly changed since last week, was it?

Regards,
George