IO link

We are trying to spec out some new equipment and one of the integrators is recommending using IO link for a new assembly line. Just wondering if there is any advantage to this over using just straight Ethernet?

Anyone have any opinions on this?

IO-Link is not a field-bus. So it does not replace Profinet for example.
IO-Link is a way to get more control or diagnostics for single devices. Each device has a unique connection to the controller (like a single channel on an I/O module).
Even a simple switch or valve can be an IO-Link device. It can also simplify the installation if there are more complex devices such as motor starters with lots of monitoring going on.
We are implementing IO-Link in our projects right now. Primarily for simplifying things when we have motorstarters that we have traditionally made with multiple devices, current trasnformers, monitoring relays etc.

Lots of manufacturers are jumping on this IO-Link wagon i.e. AB, Banner, Siemens.

I predict it ending up a small nitch on over-priced sensors that few OEM's embrace. Another of those EU good ideas but forced on people rather than letting "the market" control it.

"IO-Link is not a field-bus" But it can be used as one on small machines. We use it on all of our small machines where we are using AB Compactlogix L1 and L2 processors to conserve on CIP connections. Using a combination of 1 I/O Link Master and a couple of connected I/O blocks we can get several hundred digital I/O points using 1 CIP connection. We also use I/O Link adapters for vales manifolds. There are Valve manifold adapters available for most major valve manufactures. One thing I really like about is the fact that all connections are done with standard M12 patch cables. This saves a lot of man hours and material costs.

Last edited: