PLC s/w & firmware

Kathleenb

Hello!
A little background first – I’m a mechanical engineer working for many years in the pharma industry in the US. Usually I work in the “Validation” field – part of Quality. We write and execute test protocols on production equipment to ensure that the systems are installed and operate as specified and that they produce a product with the specified quality attributes. I work with a lot of automated equipment (typically Allen Bradley) but I am by no means proficient in programming in ladder logic or loading software or ghosting images or anything like that. I did take a ladder logic class a number of years ago and can more or less stumble thru reading a few pages of ladder logic when necessary. ;)

Testing the equipment and the functional aspects of the automation I have covered. (y) On the software side, however, I need some help. From my perspective, what’s important is knowing exactly what software and firmware are installed on the system (and being able to verify at any future point that the versions haven’t changed, so the system is still in a state of control – i.e., no unauthorized changes). Most of the folks I work with are also lacking in this area and tend to focus only on the actual process application even though our industry requires an assessment of all installed software / firmware.

On to the specific questions:

On a PLC, what are the typical resident software and firmware components?
The actual process application (ladder logic)
Development software? Like RSLogix? (or is this on the HMI or a laptop, too?)
Other?

On the related HMI – same question.

Operating System, like Windows
Operating System (firmware), no specific filename but a version #
Development software (for creating HMI applications), like FactoryTalk View Studio
Runtime environment (for applications developed in FactoryTalk View Studio), like FactoryTalk View
Ladder logic development software, like Studio 5000 Logix Designer
Development software, like RS View Studio
Process application, like xxx.mer ??
Web browser, Microsoft file viewers, text editor, PDF viewer, remote desktop connection, and media player
Backup and restore utility

Other categories of software typically installed on an HMI? Corrections to above (categories or examples)

Thanks!

Kathleen

On the PLC you're going to have hardware versions, fw revisions to consider for the controller, IO modules, Communication modules, etc.

For some PLC brands, You'll have a FW version that needs to match with a software version for programming(like Rs5000/Studio5000 and the ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers).

For HMIs with custom hardware(stuff like Panelview terminals), You'll likely have the same hardware version, software version(and/or firmware version), and the specific 'program' running on the HMI itself(This would be your .mer for the PVP+s for example). There's also may be an application archive(the extension varies from the different vendors) that can be used to rebuild the HMI 'program'.

For HMI/SCADA applications that run on a windows/mac/*nix platform(think iFix, ViewSE, Ignition, Wonderware, etc etc etc) You'll need to take into consideration the underlying OS, support software(Java, .net, etc), the patch level and service pack, the backup software strategy, the HMI/SCADA application version itself...

And of course all the communication stuff, IPs, Subnets, Fieldbus type setups, and whatnot.

Hi Kathleen,
Here are some links that may help you out. Manufacturers of PLC do not have a standardized method of software for the PLC. Each one will use different hardware and software over time. This is similar to computers ... Which is better Windows or Apple?

A standard has been written, in an effort to get some common ground when using programmable logic controllers. IEC 61131-3 Common numbering systems and methods of programming are specified.

Technical Information on Programmable Controllers:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Technical/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers

PLC programming according to the IEC 61131-3
http://www.tecnolab.ws/pdf/mosaic_prog_iec_en.pdf

Hope this helps you out,

If you are using Allen-Bradley only then Asset Centre is your best bet.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/products/factorytalk-assetcentre.page

With FactoryTalk AssetCentre, you can:

• Secure access to the system
  • Track detailed users’ actions
  • Automatically track firmware versions
  • Manage historical versioning of any electronic file
  • Provide automatic backup and compare operations on supported devices
  • Add backup and compare plug-ins for 3rd party vendor devices
  • Configure process instrumentation
  • Manage instrumentation calibration schedules and certificates

If you run into a GE PAC/PLC system you can get an application called PACsAnalyzer from their web site which will query the hardware and report that information for all hardware modules in the system.

If you are lucky others will have similar tools, but GE tends to be ahead of the rest when it comes to Process Systems.

I'm in the same industry. We handle it via the qualification process. The PLC and HMI become part of our equipment management system, which contains the version number of the built in software/firmware, as well as the versions of any programming software. Custom control applications, get the same treatment, except we use our own internal versioning numbers. Any changes to any of these are handled via change control, and at least a partial re-qualification, depending on how significant the change is. We don't require full validation packages from the automation companies, we figure our performance qualifications are robust, and extensive enough to test not only any custom apps I write, but the built in software/firmware as well. This hasn't been a problem yet, in fact we just had our ISO audit, and she applauded our system for handling automation projects.