Slc 5/01 fault

WrightFlyer

Good afternoon...I'm working with an old friend, with a 5/01 processor, which has experienced a CPU fault flash indicator, likely due to recent power line work outside the facility. Machine worked for 45 minutes, then quit. He called an electrical contractor, and I'm told he pulled the processor card out with power off, and did unplug the battery for some reason. Called me, and I plugged in the laptop today, and initial error pop-up (via RSLogix 500) stated program not found (likely due to battery loss). Dumped program back in, and fault went away. Attempted to go to 'RUN' mode, and FAULT happened...goto Error, and 'The Module in Slot 2 is being detected as wrong type'.

Nothing has changed or been modified in this program for years. Moved the 1746-OB16 card to the empty slot 3, and nothing (after adding in the 1746-OB16 manually in IO Config, and re-downloading).

FYI, apparently 'AutoConfigure' IO Configuration does not work with a 5/01.?.?

Maybe the 1746 has gone bad?? Any thoughts is greatly appreciated! EMW

I have had this happen to me.

turn the power off and reseat each card and cpu 2 or 3 times - bad connection to backplane.
if that fails, turn the power off and remove the power supply and reseat 2 or 3 times.
if that fails, go into the program and add a last rung to unlatch the fault over ride at power up bit S:1/8 and try that. the card may not be powering up as fast as it should and is not being seen by the cpu.

you might also blow off the backplane and cards to remove debris.

you may also want to replace that card.

regards,
james

Welcome to the forum! Late afternoon on a Friday is not necessarily the best time to rack my brain, but here goes nothing.

Nothing has changed or been modified in this program for years.
I've heard this many times over the years when in a situation similar to yours but I've learned to take it with a grain of salt, especially when I wasn't the one who backed up the program. How sure are you this statement is 100% true? Just out of curiosity, did you confirm the IO configuration in the program matched what was physically in the rack?

Moved the 1746-OB16 card to the empty slot 3, and nothing (after adding in the 1746-OB16 manually in IO Config, and re-downloading).
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. It sounds like a 1746-OB16 was in slot 2, so you moved it to slot 3 and changed the IO configuration to match. By "nothing" do you mean nothing changed (same fault as before), nothing faulted or something else? Please advise.

Thanks All for the quick replies!

I'm pretty sure the program has not been changed, as he would typically call me for support. Yes, the IO config within the logic does indeed match the physical cards in the rack.

Correct on the card move...I relocated the Card from slot 2 to the empty slot 3, and manually reconfigured the IO Config to now look for the card in slot 3...nothing changed. The fault clears, but presents itself again after attempting to go to 'RUN' mode. Thinking back to earlier today, what I didn't do was remove the card from slot 2 in the IO Config. Hum...thanks again!